none
Problem with out-of-box drivers/slow WSUS updates RRS feed

• Question

• For some time now, I am trying to deploy a Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) installation to a Intel NUC system (D34010WY).
    I inject the drivers with the "by model" technique and this works fine for the network drivers. The intel chipset driver however can not be added to the out of box folder. When I extract the chipset executable  with 7-zip, i get 92 files. U1, U2, U3 etc. I can't use these files. I already spent some time on the internet but I could not find an answer, the intel customer service is telling me this is impossible for these kind of NUC systems. Can someone maybe confirm/deny this?

I also experience a very long waiting time when my TS hits the "Windows update (Pre-Application installation)" section.
    As soon as the client initiates the process, it takes 2 hours!! Before WSUS, we just updated the systems trough the control panel, that seems to be faster than the WSUS. Am i doing something wrong? I already check the BITS settings but I left all policy's not-configured.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:04 PM

Answers

• Did you not run windows update when you built your reference image? I believe some time back I read about MDT having issues when a large number of updates were being installed or something like that. Either way if you keep your reference image fairly up to date you won't have long delays when deploying.

It would be more helpful if you can find the ZTIWindowsUpdate.log. It should be store in the folder you specified in your customsettings. Your CustomSettings.ini should have something like: SLShare=\\SERVER\Logs$

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Guido Schuit Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:28 PM

All replies

• Some of those installers can't be extracted using that method. They probably have their own set of switches you can use to extract the files. Sometimes running the installer with /? or --help will give you a list of switches you can use. For example one particular Intel installer may use "setup.exe --x --f c:\drivers" to extract drivers, but make sure the folder you are extracting to already exists.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:22 PM
  • Try running the Intel Chipset installer as an application rather than as a driver, use the -s switch to automate it so you can still deploy it through the task sequence. 

Or perhaps try running the exe for the chipset installer and when the GUI is shown check your temp directory and locate the contents of the self extracting exe from there, copy them out and import the inf, cat and sys' from there.

In regards to WSUS, what do the logs say? They should give you an idea if there's a specific update thats having trouble, if its slow scanning your system, if it's slow downloading the data etc.

Upload the ZTIWindowsUpdate.log and WindowsUpdate.log if you're unsure what to look for or want further advice.

• Marked as answer by Guido Schuit Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Guido Schuit Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:47 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:23 PM
  • What Andrew said is absolutely right, some drivers MUST be installed using the installer because PnP won't properly discover the devices. This happens when there's a parent device that must be setup first before the child devices can be installed.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:28 PM
  • Thanks! I Have been searching this for a while..
    I am a bit new to MDT and i just managed to get my drivers injected, adding applications is the next step :')

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for the replies gents, got the drivers working correctly now.

I am still experiecing issues with WSUS..

Yesterday morning I started my task sequence for a Windows 7 Professional x64 installation, the next day it wasn't finished yet. It seems like the whole WSUS progress is slowing down my deployment

First I thought it had something to do with write/read speed, this isn't the case since I can transfer files over Gb with 100-120 MB/s. Then i noticed I am not downloading the express installation files, (dont even have the space for it right now) but I cant believe this slows down the update process this much.

In the replies above Andres Paterson requests a ZTIWindowsUpdate.log and Windowsupdate.log, at this moment I can only provide the windowsupdate.log since the ZTI file just dissapeared. 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A0ED2E743147CD9D!67726&authkey=!AJTeZugVRmuEtyQ&ithint=file%2clog

Server: Proliant ML380 G5

Client: Intel NUC (D34010WYK)

I hope someone can help me out.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Did you not run windows update when you built your reference image? I believe some time back I read about MDT having issues when a large number of updates were being installed or something like that. Either way if you keep your reference image fairly up to date you won't have long delays when deploying.

It would be more helpful if you can find the ZTIWindowsUpdate.log. It should be store in the folder you specified in your customsettings. Your CustomSettings.ini should have something like: SLShare=\\SERVER\Logs$

• Marked as answer by Guido Schuit Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I already suspected something like that.  At this momemt I am updating a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit installation with the latest updates, I will get my answer when some new updates get out I guess.

Thanks to everyone who spent some time on my questions!

Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:17 PM