AD FS Rapid Restore Tool - backing up and restoring to a new server for test RRS feed

• Question

• Hello on the ADFS restore tool docs page there is a question "Clarification on where a restore is safe" that didn't seem to get answered fully.  Is it safe to take a backup of a current adfs server, then restore to a new adfs server that is on the same domain?  The url is behind a load balancer so the new one shouldn't get traffic.  I want to restore to a new server on the same domain, then change the URL/name so that I can test some load balancer settings along with adding and removing farm members (on the new servers) without breaking or affecting the old servers.  
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:17 AM

Answers

• You don't need to create another farm to test your load balancers.

Just create a different virtual server with whatever name and have your test client use a HOSTS file to point to this VIP to do the testing.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Friday, September 27, 2019 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• You don't need to create another farm to test your load balancers.

Just create a different virtual server with whatever name and have your test client use a HOSTS file to point to this VIP to do the testing.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Friday, September 27, 2019 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Ok I just wanted to make sure restoring to the same domain wouldn't interfere with the existing servers.   I assume the restore excludes any defined additional farm nodes?
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:30 PM