Windows 7 Activation error: The activation server determined that the specified prodcut key could not be used RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of installing Windows 7 throughout our environment. I have 7 systems that are currently running Windows 7. Two of these systems will not allow me to use the KMS prodcut key provided. I get "The activation server determined tha the specified product key could not be used". I found that I needed to have the first 5 systems running as KMS hosts and they have been activated as KMS hosts and their product key is the same. Why am I getting this error message and how can I fix it. I have 90 licenses and I can't seem to get past this 7th install. Help!!

Saturday, December 26, 2009 10:06 PM

Answers

• How do I get a MAK?

You can obtain Multiple Activation Keys (MAKs) similarly to how you obtain other Volume License keys:

· Go to the Product Keys section of the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC). MAKs are not pre-assigned; you must request a MAK if you need one to activate Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.

o   Go to the Request MAK Keys page

o   Locate the product(s) for which you need a MAK key, and then select the corresponding check box for the product(s)

o   Click Request MAK Key button

o   The new MAK(s) will be displayed and will appear on the Existing Keys page the next time you log on to the VLSC.

· Contact your Microsoft Activation Center.

Moreover, you can go to the activation deployment guide to learn the steps to continue with a successful activation.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Fernandow Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Fernandow,
          Why are you using a KMS host key on 5 machines for only 90 machines total? You probably only want 1, maybe even 2 KMS hosts in your environment, since KMS requires that 25 Clients be connected to the KMS Host prior to activating the machines. From what it sounds like, you are trying to install your KMS host key on every machine and have them all act like KMS host, which is not going to work. You should check into VAMT 1.2 (Downloaded via Windows Automated Installation Toolkit - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34&displaylang=en) Which manage your environment and install the KMS Client keys on your machines.

Here is a link for Volume Activation Deployment Guide, which also has the KMS Client keys that you will want to install (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772269.aspx)

Thanks
    Tanner --- This is posted as-is and has no warranty or guarantee ---
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Thank you Tanner, I will give that a try. For the sake of time, how and when do these systems activate and/or register? As the operating systems is being installed or do you have to press the activate now button? Obviously, I have never used a KMS product key.

We are a non-profit organization and we have 89 users in 11 offices and each office is on it's on class "c" subnet. Some offices are as small as 4 users, the main office has about 30 people where I started installing Windows 7. These licenses were purchased from Techsoup.org which relies on software donations. When I purchased them, I was unaware that we would get KMS licenses and what it would entail. Now I am in a hurry to get two of the systems registered as soon as possible since they are being used by our accountants. Will I have to reinstall the O/S?
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:17 PM
  • When you install Windows, it gives you a 3 day grace before attempting to activate Windows. You can initiate the process earlier, if you want. Otherwise they check in with the KMS Server every 180 days.

Do each of your offices have a WAN connection to the Main Office? If so, you can setup your KMS Server at the main office and just have the DNS entry for KMS at each of the remote locations.

No you will not have to reinstall the O/S when the activation period expires, it will go into NAG mode.
    Tanner --- This is posted as-is and has no warranty or guarantee ---
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Thanks again.

Sould I run the SLMGR.vbs /rearm and try activation again?

As for new systems, when it asks to activate, do I use the gui or command line and what is the proper switch?

Yes, our offices are in a WAN connection to the main office. Where do I enter the DNS entry for the host (or is it on the client)? Guess this is what I ahve been missing.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Hi Fernandow,

KMS key is meant to be used only on select number of systems (default maximum value of six) that will serve as the customer-hosted local activation service enabling activation of other systems within the customer’s environment. The error "The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used" indicates the usage of the key exceeding the activation limits. KMS keys will activate up to 10 times on six different systems. If more activations are necessary, you can contact the call center.

To resolve this issue, please run the command: slmgr /dlv with elevated privilege to check what the type of key you owned. If you identified your machine as a KMS host, you need to make a decision if you want it to be a KMS host to proceed with activation. If you choose so, keep in mind the corresponding activation limits on the KMS keys. If you identified that your machine is a KMS client machine, you either can set up a KMS host or opt to enter a MAK key.

Best Regards
    Dale

Monday, December 28, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Thank you for your response Dale.

What if I don't have a MAK key? As far as I know I haven't been provided a MAK key, only a KMS key. What should I do now? If I need a MAK Key, where could I get it?

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:46 AM
  • How do I get a MAK?

You can obtain Multiple Activation Keys (MAKs) similarly to how you obtain other Volume License keys:

· Go to the Product Keys section of the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC). MAKs are not pre-assigned; you must request a MAK if you need one to activate Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.

o   Go to the Request MAK Keys page

o   Locate the product(s) for which you need a MAK key, and then select the corresponding check box for the product(s)

o   Click Request MAK Key button

o   The new MAK(s) will be displayed and will appear on the Existing Keys page the next time you log on to the VLSC.

· Contact your Microsoft Activation Center.

Moreover, you can go to the activation deployment guide to learn the steps to continue with a successful activation.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Fernandow Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Thanks again Dale. I got my MAK keys. Would have made more sense to assign the KMS and the MAK keys at the same time.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:30 AM