none
Add permission for PM to restored project (draft) without publish RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I restored  project from Archive DB through administrative restore option that located on Server Settings -> Database Administrations -> Administrative Restore.

So i can see this restored project via Project Pro when opened enterprise projects from server. And i can open them as administrator. But how to add open (may be edit) permission related to this  project for another user with Project Managers group permissions. I do not know who was owner of this project before. I know that i can publish this project and add permissions through Project Permissions method.

But is there a way to give permission for this recovery project to another user without the publication of this project ?

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Alexey,

since you can open your project in Project client: add column Status Manager to see who was initailly responsible for this project. If you want to change this name, ask the new owner to open this project in client and enter his name into this field. (If this person is not allowed to do so, let us know to describe how to enable this temporarily). After publishing, permission settings will apply for this person. Moreover, after publishing, you will be able to see or change Project Owner on Project Details Page "Project Information (2010) or edtit Project Properties (2007), both in Project Web App.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Alexey Koval Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:58 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

just to add on top of Barbara response, there is no such explicit permission that allows users to retrieve the draft project. if the user is allowed to open the project, being part of the PM group etc, the user can open project from draft and published both by selecting option working or published from the Project professional open dialog open.

hope this help.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Alexey,

since you can open your project in Project client: add column Status Manager to see who was initailly responsible for this project. If you want to change this name, ask the new owner to open this project in client and enter his name into this field. (If this person is not allowed to do so, let us know to describe how to enable this temporarily). After publishing, permission settings will apply for this person. Moreover, after publishing, you will be able to see or change Project Owner on Project Details Page "Project Information (2010) or edtit Project Properties (2007), both in Project Web App.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

just to add on top of Barbara response, there is no such explicit permission that allows users to retrieve the draft project. if the user is allowed to open the project, being part of the PM group etc, the user can open project from draft and published both by selecting option working or published from the Project professional open dialog open.

hope this help.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Hi Barbara, Khurram, 

Thank you for your answers. It answers on my questions and get information that help me to find workaround for my scenario.    As Barbara tell new owner can be change status manager field value to existing PM that want to have open permission to restored project. But i do not know what is old owner of this project before and must publish this restored project for assign new owner for this project.    Also as Khuram told, there is no explicit permission to directly change owner for only project with only draft version.   

So i asked himself to how i can directly get open permission to this draft project without publishing them. I found  solution with security category method.

I remembered that we use some  groups related to some security categories that need to grant access to only some projects. So my user (PM) also was a member of  one of this security group. So after i check this i simply add this restored project to list of project that can be opened for members of this security group.

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

fine that it worked. What you did "... I found  solution with security category method..." was exactly what I had explained, if you had asked for "If this person is not allowed to do so, let us know to describe how to enable this temporarily". I am a bit lazy, and didn't want to describe if not needed ;-).

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

No worried about this. If I had not found a way then probably would be specify my question, but may be stopped search and would accept this an answer. But in any case, thanks for this tip :)

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:23 PM