none
Server 2012 R2 VDI Quick Start Deployment - RD Virtualization Host Configuration Failed (Event ID 4119) PLEASE HELP!!

Question

• I am struggling to get my Windows Server 2012 R2 standalone system to successfully deploy VDI quick start deployment for Virtual Machine - Based Desktop Deployment.

Hardware:

• Supermicro X10SRA-F Motherboard (two NICs)
    • Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3
    • 64GB Kingston DDR4 ECC 2133MHz Memory
    • 800GB Intel Fultondale 3 DC P3600 NVMe PCIe SSD

I was able to successfully install Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on the PCIe SSD along with drivers and windows updates.  Set static ips for both adapters and installed ADDS and DNS roles to create domain controller successfully. 

Next I try to deploy VDI Quick Start for Virtual Machine-Based Desktop Deployment using a sysprep Win10 VHD (mode:vm).

1. The server restart and begins role installation.
    2. It gets to 99% then begins undoing changes saying "could not complete" or something like that.
    3. Once logged back into admin, server manager says RDS role installed successfully but virtual template failed (invalid namespace), but:
      • Event ID 4119 shows that RD Virtualization Host Configuration Failed (5 errors):
        1. Could not add server to the rds management servers group (but when I check, it has been added).
        2. Could not add the rd connection broker server to the ts virtual desktop server settings
        3. VmHostAgent on server could not sync the vm objects to CB (invalid namespace).
        4. Could not configure the migration settings on the rd virtualization host server
        5. Could not create virtual switch on the server.
      • RDS role shows RD Virtualization Host role installed.
      • When I go to add or remove roles, it shows RD Virtualization Host NOT installed.

I am really struggling to get this system up and running with personal virtual machines that clients can connect to.  I have tried installing VDI with standard deployment as well as individual roles even trying to MS checklist one role at a time.  When I get to installing RD Virtualization Host role it fails.

Can someone please help me?  I don’t know what I am missing.

Thank you for your feedback.

-- Michael Lowe Computer Engineering

• Edited by IronMikeAce Sunday, February 7, 2016 3:38 AM Title
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For a lab or small pilot deployment, you can put all these roles(RDS) onto a single physical server. 

Below are for your reference:
    1. Install physical host with the Hyper-V role.
    2. Configure the first VM as DC/DNS/DHCP and join the underlying Hyper-V host to that domain.
    3. Configure the second VM with all of the Remote Desktop Services roles, except for the RD Virtualization Host(which would be on the underlying Hyper-V host). 
    4. Make sure all of the VMs are setup to automatically start when the Hyper-V host boots, and use the VM startup delays to add a delay for the RDS VM(start after the DC VM).

Test lab in below link uses the minimum number of computers(virtual machine):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831585.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by IronMikeAce Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:15 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:16 AM

All replies

• Can someone confirm the following?

1. Do I need another physical computer?
    2. Do I need a virtual server running on physical server to implement VDI?
    3. Should Network Stack be enabled in BIOS for this scenario?  Tried this but still deployment failed.
    4. Do I need to install any other roles besides ADDS and DNS before deploying VDI?
    5. Is an internet connection required to deploy VDI?
    6. Are there any prerequisites needed before deploying VDI that I am missing?

I am really struggling with this and would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Saturday, February 6, 2016 8:59 PM
  • After enabling Network Stack in the BIOS and PXE support, I am getting a different error.

Instead of "invalid namespace" it now says "invalid class".

Does anyone have any feedback on what to do or how to find out what my problem is?

PLEASE HELP!!

Monday, February 8, 2016 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

For a lab or small pilot deployment, you can put all these roles(RDS) onto a single physical server. 

Below are for your reference:
    1. Install physical host with the Hyper-V role.
    2. Configure the first VM as DC/DNS/DHCP and join the underlying Hyper-V host to that domain.
    3. Configure the second VM with all of the Remote Desktop Services roles, except for the RD Virtualization Host(which would be on the underlying Hyper-V host). 
    4. Make sure all of the VMs are setup to automatically start when the Hyper-V host boots, and use the VM startup delays to add a delay for the RDS VM(start after the DC VM).

Test lab in below link uses the minimum number of computers(virtual machine):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831585.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by IronMikeAce Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:15 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:16 AM
  • I was able to get support from Microsoft and they recommended that I install Hyper-V, configure DC/DNS on VM, and then configure RDS on physical server.  This worked like a charm but your solution uses the same concept.  It should work that way as well.

I have not installed DHCP but all is working well.  What is the benefit of having DHCP installed for VDI?

Thank you for the help. I was under the assumption that Server 2012 R2 was capable of having all services installed on physical server when deploying VDI.

Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:20 AM