none
Windows update error 0x800700d8 Win10 1803 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am receiving the following error when trying to upgrade my window 10 workstations from Win10 1607 to Win10 1803.

I am going through normal channels of windows updates.

I have tried running windows update troubleshooter, but that does not correct the issue.

Please advise on how to resolve. 

Thanks

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am receiving the following error when trying to upgrade my window 10 workstations from Win10 1607 to Win10 1803.

I am going through normal channels of windows updates.

I have tried running windows update troubleshooter, but that does not correct the issue.

Please advise on how to resolve. 

Thanks

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Hi!

Since you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, I'd suggest you to manually reset the Windows update components and check if it helps.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
      net stop wuauserv
      net stop cryptSvc
      net stop bits
      net stop msiserver
    3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
      ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
      net start wuauserv
      net start cryptSvc
      net start bits
      net start msiserver
      5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now try running Windows Update again to see if it helped.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:45 AM
  • Hi!

Since you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, I'd suggest you to manually reset the Windows update components and check if it helps.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
      net stop wuauserv
      net stop cryptSvc
      net stop bits
      net stop msiserver
    3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
      ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
      net start wuauserv
      net start cryptSvc
      net start bits
      net start msiserver
      5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now try running Windows Update again to see if it helped.

Best regards,
    Leon

Followed this step by step.

Win 10 1803 downloads and fails to install again!

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 1:44 PM
  • You could try installing this update, a method that has been successful is to upgrade from the Windows 10 ISO, you download the ISO and then perform an offline upgrade.

Click this link below to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now).
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    With that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), then choose ISO 

• When the ISO file completes downloading 
    • Disconnect from the Internet.
    • Disable any 3rd party Anti-virus - this is a known issue with 1803.
    • Finally, double click it and then run Setup.exe to begin the upgrade.

Or you could also try downloading the update from the Windows Update Catalogue below and manually install it.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=windows%2010%201803

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:02 PM
  • You can update your Windows to the Windows 10 1803 version by using the Update Assistant or Download tool now.

Click the next link and follow the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Hi, 

Is it a domain joined device or local device?

How did you upgrade to Windows 10 1803?

Are there any error codes recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, Setup, System)?

Did the issue occur on your download process or install process?

I would be appreciate if you could provide more information to specify the issue, but at first we could try the following general steps to fix the normal update issue.

1. Run built-in windows troubleshooting tool:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\ System and Security\Fix problems with Windows Update\Advanced\Run as administrator:

2. Run System Update Readiness Tool  to fix the issue automatically.

3.Run the command “sfc /scannow” with administrator right to check the health of system files.

4. Perform a Clean Boot  and manually update again.

5. Disable firewall and antivirus temporarily.

6.Try to upgrade with Windows 10 ISO image. 

To troubleshoot the issue deeply, please check the Windowsupdate.log(C:\Windows) and CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) for detailed information. Please upload the log to OneDrive and paste the link here.We will help you to analyze them.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:46 AM
  • Hi,

According to the complexity of the problem and the difficulty of the analyze, we recommend to create a ticket for your issue with the following link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?wf=0&tenant=ClassicCommercial&oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&locale=en-us&supportregion=en-us&pesid=15909&ccsid=636421791164342061

The professional senior engineer will contact with you through phone or email to follow up your issue after you created. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:32 AM
  • I found that if my machine was checked to "Defer upgrades" I was prompted with the error above.

Once I unchecked "Defer upgrades" the machine applied 1803.

I am going from build 1607 to 1803.

Hopefully this will save someone else some time.

MS could put a switch in there to inform the user that this is what the error is indicating.

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Regards,

Friday, August 31, 2018 6:24 AM