Install/Uninstall programs trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm running Vista Ultimate SP2 and for some time now I'm having significant
    trouble installing and uninstalling programs. Whenever I try to install or
    uninstall, the process starts and it either takes a very, very long time to
    complete (2 hours or more), or the process hangs and I get a message stating
    the installer is not responding. I think I have found at least part of the
    problem in that system restore is not operational. If I open the "system
    protection" tab, the system restore button is greyed out and there are no
    disks displayed to create restore points. My belief is that system restore
    is not creating a restore point when an install/uninstall is started and
    thus the process times out.

Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything related to system
    restore's operation - how to shut it down or re-start it, etc.

Thanks for your help

LJP
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Western,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: a problem was encountered when trying to install and uninstall program, the operation will cost long time/hang. You suspect this issue is caused by system restore cannot work properly. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

Regarding the question of how to shut system restore down, I would like to share following steps for you:

1.       Go to Start

2.       Select Control Panel

3.       Select System and Maintenance

4.       Select System

5.       Select the System Protection link

6.       Uncheck the disk drive for which you would like to turn system restore off

7.       Click the "Turn System Restore Off" button. System Restore will no longer monitor and create restore points for the unchecked disk drive.

Regarding the installing/uninstalling problem, could you please confirm following points?

1.       Does the issue only occur on MSI file or all file?

2.       Are there any entries recorded in Event Log?

If this issue only occurs on Windows Installer related files/programs, please take following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Clean Windows temp files

============================================

1. Click Start, Type %temp% in Search Bar and then press Enter:

2. The Temp folder for the currently logged-on user displays.

3. In most cases, you can safely delete the contents. If you are not sure, then copy any files or folders to a different location. To delete the contents, click the Edit menu, and then click Select All.

4. Press Delete, and then click Yes if prompted to confirm.

Then, please restart the computer to test if it works.

Hope it works.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Monday, August 17, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Robinson -

Thanks for the reply. I cannot follow the steps for shutting down System Restore because when I go to the System Protection link, no drives are displayed for System Restore (in the box it says "Searching. . ." for an indefinite period). Also, the System Restore button is greyed out and unresponsive.

The problem with installation/uninstallation occurs with all types of installs, not just MSI files.

I'm at a loss here.

Louis
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:51 PM
  • This is also most definitely a Windows Installer problem as well. I'm using version 4.5, which was installed as a Windows Update. I suppose it's possible there could have been a problem during the update, but I really can't tell. I tried using Revo Uninstaller, which allows you to bypass creating a restore point. I did that and Windows Installer hung during its process.

So, in short, it seems as though I have two problems: 1) System Resore is not functional and 2) Windows Installer has problems.

I'm unclear on how to resolve these issues.

LJP
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply and summary.

Now, we face two problems:

1.       System Restore is not functional

2.       Programs on Windows Vista (Included MSI file) has install/uninstall issue.

Thank you for your clarification. Based on current situation, I suspect these issue are caused by corrupt system file or corrupt user profile. Could you please take the following steps to troubleshoot the issue? Thank you for your cooperation.

Suggestion 1: Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

===============================================

The System File Checker tool gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator".

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

After taking suggestion 1, please restart the computer to test the issue. If the issue still persists, please take suggestion 2.

Suggestion 2: Create a new user account

===========================

1. Click "Start", type "Control userpasswords" in the Start Search box, and then click "Control userpasswords" in the Programs list. 

2. Click "Manage another account".

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click "Allow".

3. Click "Create a new account". 

4. In the New account name box, type a single-byte character name, click "Administrator", and then click "Create Account". 

5. Click the user account that you created in step 4.

6. Click "Create a password". 

7. In the New password box, type a password, type the password again in the Confirm new password box, type a password hint in the Type a password hint box, and then click "Create password".

8. Log off the current user account, and log on the new account to test the issue.

Note: You can delete the new account after troubleshooting.

Does it work?

Please let me know the results.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Robinson -

I ran SFC and the result was the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    Details are included in the CBS.log

I looked over the log file, but I can't tell where the problem is.

I haven't done suggestion #2 yet, but I thought you should know about the results from SFC

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Hi Western,

Could you please upload the CBS log to Skydrive and let me know URL?

In additon, please take my suggestion 2 at your early convenience and let me know resulte. We take the steps to narrow down if it is a corrupt account issue.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Hi Western,

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the information I provided. If so, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance. :)

Thanks!

Monday, August 24, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Robinson -

Sorry for not getting back - I've been out of town until today.

I am not familiar with Skydrive - could you let me know how that works? I will upload the CBS log as soon as I can.

I will also work on suggestion #2 and let you know the results.

Thanks for your patience!
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Robinson -

Decided to try suggestion #2 right away. Unfortunately, same results. System Restore is not responsive/functioning and uninstalls hang (presumably when trying to create a restore point).

Please let me know how to upload a file to Skydrive and I will send you the CBS log from last week.

Thanks again!
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Hi Western,

Hope the following link can help you:

How to Upload files to Windows Live SkyDrive

Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi Western,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information that I provided in my previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

Thanks.

Friday, August 28, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Robinson -

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I uploaded the CBG.log file to skydrive. Here is the URL:

<iframe scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:240px;height:66px;margin:3px;padding:0;border:1px solid #dde5e9;background-color:#ffffff;" src="http://cid-46a6206d0ec4089b.skydrive.live.com/embedrowdetail.aspx/.Public/CBS.log"></iframe>

Please let me know if you need to anything else on this.

Regards
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:11 PM
  • Sorry, there is a temporary issue was encountered when i try to download the file:

Critical error icon

We can't show you that page

Our server is having a problem. We're working to fix it as soon as we can, so try again in a few minutes.

I will check it later.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Hi Western,

From CBS log, there is few files corruptted. It should not be related to system files. It could be a regisrty/system settings/harddisk issue.

As this troubleshooting steps are complex, I suggest you do a inplace upgrade to resolve the issue.

If you want to continue to troubleshoot the issue, I will list the checklist to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:19 AM
  • When you say "inplace upgrade" are you referring to Windows Installer or something else?

I was actually considering going to Windows 7, but when I ran the upgrade advisor, it said that I needed to uninstall a few older programs before it could do an upgrade.

Please let me know what you had in mind - I'm not adverse to going through the troubleshooting exercise, but if I can pull off an inplace upgrade to Windows 7, I might just do that.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:29 PM