UAC and sequencing RRS feed

• Question

• This is our idea for the migration to W7

Within our organisation users may install their own applications on our managed W7 client pc's, with a predefined local administrator account called: Install
    If a user likes to install a application, User Account Control (enabled on the clients), shows a popup where the user can make a choice to use that Install account (well known password)

We are using sccm to deploy our own applications for local installation and App-V, so the application will install under the sccm system credentials.

I'm using App-V sequencer 4.6SP1 and the recommended configuration is to enable UAC on the seqeuncer, if UAC is enabled on the W7 client pc's.

I'd like to prevent that we're running in troubles with sequencing and building msi with the above setup and have a few thoughts/questions:

1) Assume I enable UAC on the sequencer and start sequencing an application and during the installation UAC pops up: what credentials should I use?

2) On the W7 clients, the application is launched (App-v) or local installed (deployd with sccm) and the user is working with that application: what to do if UAC pops up for that user?

3) We're using sccm so, is it neccesarry to follow the recommendations and enable UAC on the sequencer?

thanks for reading
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:00 PM

Answers

• Sequence instead on a virtual machine that is in a workgroup and matches service pack/OS/dependency levels. Enable the local Administrator account and sequence using that and you won't see UAC prompts.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by Miito Monday, May 23, 2011 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:56 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hello, 

I don't really have any good answers to any of your questions, I would of tested it a lot before production too see if it behaves as expected. Since we are on about UAC, have a look at this article.

It's good to know and might help you in the future =)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualworld/archive/2010/04/13/the-requested-operation-requires-elevation-2c-000002e4.aspx

Friday, May 20, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Sequence instead on a virtual machine that is in a workgroup and matches service pack/OS/dependency levels. Enable the local Administrator account and sequence using that and you won't see UAC prompts.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by Miito Monday, May 23, 2011 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:56 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:44 PM