manual partitioning RRS feed

• Question

• During the install, The MDT during PE does not ask for the customization of Drives i.e. Formatting and Partitioning. If the installed is a Fresh install, MDT by default wipes out all the drives and creates only one partition of all the available HDD space.

I don't want to use diskpart scripts or other staff to automatically repartition disk. The causes are:

1. Some computers are with 2 disks. What if disk with data will appear as a first disk. All data could be lost.
    2. Some computers are with dual boot.
    3. Second partition with data may appear first. Vary rarely but sometimes system could be on disk D:.
    4. I want to manually backup data from system partition to data partition.

The best option is to add in TS "format and partitioning wizard", and some kind of "explorer" to comfortably backup/copy data. It will be great to use this CD not only for deploying windows but also to recover it.

So what I need is "format and partitioning wizard" with ability to call "file explorer". The question is how to do it? Is it possible to download this wizard and file explorer? And from where? Are there any docs about this procedure?

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Want my advise? MDT is a deployment tool, intentionally used for bulk deployments of largely the same computers with the same configuration composition. It's not MDT's problem you have:

• Multiple disks
    • Dual boot
    • Data partition's

So why make it MDT's problem then? And try to resolve these 'issues' with MDT.

Its a deployment tool, not the solution for world peace.

MDT does not provide any mechanism to achieve what you want. There is no custom partition wizard. The only pragmatic approach I can think of is you disable the format and partition step, build in a Run Command Line that prompts a diskpart Window so you can manually diskpart and partition your disks.

Another thing you can do is to build in checks for multiple disks to show a warning popup message box or custom HTA.

It may sound harsh, but some times you need to step out of the MDT tunnel and think what's realistic.

Just my 2 cents.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Friday, March 7, 2014 9:16 AM
  • Thanks for reply,

there is "format and partition wizard" in single windows installation CD/DVD. After importing it in MDT wizard is wiped out. MDT automates process but don't keep default settings to manually repartion disks.

And here is the question, where I can get "format and partition wizard" to call it from task sequence?

Yes, diskpart is solution but it's awkward after using gui wizard with mouse.

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:29 AM
  • Basically MDT is a program that injects, creates and uses all the properties and values Unattended.xml needs to know to perform a unattended deployment. Therefore the GUI you mention is not available, and also not possible to call.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Monday, March 10, 2014 2:08 PM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Seconded, your format and partition wizard is the unattend.
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:08 PM