none
MS Azure backup failing to backup new versions of files RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MS Azure Backup to backup our files from a specific folder on a local disk to an Azure backup service however it is not updating the cloud version of some files when they have been updated locally.

The errlog has recorded a number of the following errors
    Failed: Hr: = [0x80070005] : CreateFile failed \\?\Volume{...}\<file path> with error :5

More worryingly the jobs in question on the jobs list show successful with no indication of any issues.
    I only discovered this because 1 job from 3 days ago was tagged as having warning which appears to be a connectivity issue somewhere and came across these entries in the log.

Would someone be able to

1. Indicate how we can get these changed files to be backed up?
    2. Answer why the MS Azure Backup jobs are listed as successful when these warnings have been recorded?

Thanks
    Gavin

Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:46 PM

All replies

Just discovered MS Azure Backup is failing to backup some files an not showing any warnings in UI! Only found in log files!

We are using MS Azure Backup to backup our files from a specific folder on a local disk to an Azure backup service however it is not updating the cloud version of some files when they have been updated locally.The errlog has recorded a number of the following errorsFailed: Hr: = [0x80070005] : CreateFile failed \\?\Volume{...}\<file path> with error :5More worryingly the jobs in question on the jobs list show successful with no indication of any issues.I only discovered this because 1 job from 3 days ago was tagged as having warning which appears to be a connectivity issue somewhere and came across these entries in the log.Would someone be able to1. Indicate how we can get these changed files to be backed up?2. Answer why the MS Azure Backup jobs are listed as successful when these warnings have been recorded?

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Thursday, July 7, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Thanks Dani,

here is a link to the matching forum post I created. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cf028cbc-8bb2-4112-9ac0-7ac2f5bdae16/ms-azure-backup-failing-to-backup-new-versions-of-files?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup

Using MS Azure Recovery Services Agent version 2.0.8724.0

Thanks

Gavin

Thursday, July 7, 2016 11:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

It seems like there is a permission issue to the files and folders which you are trying to backup. Please check if the folders or the drive you are backing up is formatted in NTFS.

The following types of file and folder are not supported for backup:

Hard Links, Reparse Point, encrypted + Compressed, Encrypted + Sparse, Compressed Stream, Sparse Stream.

The filepath length specification is limited by Windows API. In case of backing up files with file path length greater than the ones specified by Windows API, customers can choose to back up the parent folder or the disk drive of backup files.

I would like to suggest you install latest backup agent (2.0.9037.0) from here. And retry the operation.

There has been some discussion on this topic already in the following thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2d0d66ad-2d6e-46f4-8a77-8c69c4fc5b39/unsuccessful-backups-error-code-8004025b?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Friday, July 8, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions of things to check.

The drive in question is formatted in NTFS.

The server it is running on is Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.

All the files on the folder that is being backed up have been given Full Control permissions to Everyone.

These files were backed up by MS Azure Backup when they were initially created so we have the original copy of the files in Azure but the updates are not being copied up.
    I installed the updated version of the backup agent on Friday and the files are still not being backed up.

The actual backup configuration we have 1 folder on the root of the drive which we are backing up (folder name is 7 characters long).
    This has all of the files we wish to back up stored on it.
    The path one of the files we are having issues with is 122 characters long.

Thanks

Gavin

Sunday, July 10, 2016 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

Does anyone have any more idea's on this?

We are running the latest version of the backup agent and as noted in my previous post I checked all of the pathing and permissions on the files and there does not look to be any issues with that.

This is still an ongoing problem where new copies of files are not added to the backup history.

We get the following warnings recorded in the error log for the backup agent for each file

08D0 1184 07/13 12:30:44.055 18 fswrapper.cpp(932)  <guid> WARNING Hr: = [0x20a0b5c0] Unable to CreateFile \\?\Volume{9c1f9912-5ff2-49ab-8299-f4438537b717}\.... error :5
    08D0 1184 07/13 12:30:44.055 18 fswrapper.cpp(932)  <guid> WARNING Hr: = [0x20a0b980] Unable to CreateFile \\?\Volume{9c1f9912-5ff2-49ab-8299-f4438537b717}\.... error :5
    08D0 1184 07/13 12:30:44.055 32 fsreserver.cpp(190)  <guid> WARNING Hr: = [0x20a0b980]: CFSReserver::CreateFile : CFSWrapper::CreateFile()

We are also getting dozens of log entries along the lines of

08D0 0E4C 07/13 12:30:45.924 71 dscontext.cpp(157) [0000000020620060] <guid> WARNING Last completed state for Ds Id (52776873719280) is 18

The backup job listing shows as Successful in the Azure backup tool, no warnings of any sort.
    If you go into the recover data option then the files that are available for recovery are not the latest versions of those files, they are the original versions.

Not very helpful from a recovery point of view as these may be weeks out of date.

Thanks
    Gavin

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Hello

Apologies for the delay in responding!

If the issue still persists. I would request; You may open a support ticket with our technical team for much detailed analysis of the issue:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:09 AM