Windows will run fine for days, then crash RRS feed

• Question

• I've been reading various support forums and blogs for a really really long time for this issue. I've thought it was solved in lots of different ways, only to have my computer crash again after another few days. So I'm finally just gonna post here, as I'm sure some of you will see/know things I don't. Okay.

I think a lot of my problems might be rooted in a really dumb thing that happened a while ago: I loaded a system image from a different laptop onto my current one, thinking it would save me from having to reinstall all of my applications, etc, and convinced my Asus G74sx that it was a Toshiba. I eventually got back to square one (I think?), which involved re-installing Windows.

I've "fixed" this problem numerous times since then, doing virus and malware scans, cleaning out temporary files, thinking Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 was at fault, updating drivers, and lots of other things, but it keeps happening. My most recent plan was to wait for things to start slowing down and then use process explorer and xperf to check things out more, but it happens so infrequently and suddenly that I'm not sure that will help. (Basically I know enough to be dangerous by trying to fix things I don't really understand.)

So yeah. Ideas? If you want me to run some kind of scan and post the log so you have something to look at, I will gladly do so.

PS: I just did read-only chkdsk scans in and out of safe mode. In safe mode, it told me I had errors and that I couldn't do anything else. Out of safe mode, it said things were fine. Idk what that means or if it's relevant.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the computer can work fine for quite a few time, I suggest you not test the issue in Safe Mode and boot into Clean Boot mode to see whether some application affect this.

In addition, if you can try to update the BIOS and check whether it will work after waking from sleep.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by ianreed Monday, February 11, 2013 1:46 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:13 AM
  • I installed a new driver for it from here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22194/eng/iata_enu.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=22194&DownloadType=Drivers&OSFullname=Windows+7++*&ProductID=2101

Crossing my fingers!

• Marked as answer by ianreed Monday, February 11, 2013 1:45 AM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to verify whether the crash means blue screen of death? If so, please locate the dump file in the \Windows\Minidump folder and upload it so that we can analyze it.

If not, I suggest you can try to test the issue in Clean Boot and Safe Mode to check whether this is related to third party programs.

Also, use System File Checker tool to scan the system files.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:17 AM
  • I haven't gotten the blue screen of death in quite some time. I usually try to restart before the computer totally slows to a stop, but if it does freeze, I usually just do a hard reset. I've tried just waiting, but it has never recovered, though it has turned itself off and told me that there was an unexpected shutdown. I figure if the result is the same, it doesn't hurt for me to just turn it off and back on. (I usually need to get back to work on something, so I'm not very patient...)

As far as safe mode, I've done scans from there and booted from safe mode a few times, but idk what it can help me with beyond that. Because as I said, the computer will work fine for quite a while before anything goes wrong. (10 minutes ago it happened again for the first time since I posted this thread.) So wouldn't I have to use my computer in safe mode for that whole time to know if there was a difference?

And I've looked into/updated my drivers quite a few times thinking that it might be one of those, but haven't seen a difference.

Also, I had process explorer open when it happened this time.

"System" was using 12.49ish % of the CPU, and I've learned from reading tech forums that people have problems with that, but it also usually involves a whole lot of interrupts, and mine were only at .20% CPU usage.

Would it make any sense at all for it to be related to sleep mode? Because like I kind of said, after a restart it always seems to be fine, and usually no problems appear until it's been in and out of sleep a couple times...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

Since the computer can work fine for quite a few time, I suggest you not test the issue in Safe Mode and boot into Clean Boot mode to see whether some application affect this.

In addition, if you can try to update the BIOS and check whether it will work after waking from sleep.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by ianreed Monday, February 11, 2013 1:46 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:13 AM
  • I did a clean boot and basically just put the computer in an out of sleep over and over to see if it would have the issue. It eventually did. From process manager I looked at the properties of "System" and saw that the thread that was causing the CPU activity was called "iaStor.sys+0x3916c," and Googling around I see that other people have had issues with this, but I'm still at a bit of a loss about how to fix it.
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:55 AM
  • I installed a new driver for it from here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22194/eng/iata_enu.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=22194&DownloadType=Drivers&OSFullname=Windows+7++*&ProductID=2101

Crossing my fingers!

• Marked as answer by ianreed Monday, February 11, 2013 1:45 AM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to check whether it works well after installing the new driver.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Monday, February 11, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Yep, all seems to be going well!
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Monday, February 11, 2013 1:46 AM