Deciphering Event ID 11: What does Harddisk3 and DR4 refer to? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I often get this event in my event logs and I have several questions regarding it:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR4
    Event ID: 11
    Source: Disk

Question 1: What does Harddisk3 refer to? (i.e. Does it refer to a disk, partition, volume or something else? Do we have Harddisk0 too? etc.)

Question 2: What does DR4 refer to? (i.e. Does it refer to a disk, partition, volume, or something else? Do we have DR0 too? etc.)

Question 3: How do these information possibly apply to my system? I have one hard disk with only one partition on it. I have a DVD drive and I occasionally connect a USB flash disk.

The greatest moment of everyone's life is the moment of positive thinking.
    • Edited by Fleet Command Monday, April 25, 2011 8:50 AM Fixed URL
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:49 AM

Answers

• Well, I guess I am making progress in finding out. Having visited Winobj.exe multiple times, it seems that I always have \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, which refers to my physical hard disk. But when I connect a USB flash drive for the first time in each session, I get a \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. Now, if I eject the device, naturally I no longer have \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. But if I reconnect the device, I get a \Device\Harddisk1\DR2. If I eject and connect another USB flash device, I will have \Device\Harddisk1\DR3, with no sign of DR2 or DR1.

So, in case of the log entry which I am looking at, the error has occurred on the fourth  physical storage device, that I had connected to my computer, designated Harddisk3. (Bear in mind that the count start from zero, not one.) However, DR4 means that at one occasion during the session, I had ejected one storage device and connected another.

These are all assumptions made based on experiments and may not be correct at all; maybe I have not accounted for something. Still, I guess I have my answer.

Friday, May 6, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• That's an object name.  Maybe sysinternals winobj can help?  Maybe you have some hidden recovery partitions.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. Well, WinObj certainly did help get a better view of what is what but I can't say any of my questions are answered.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you try to Diskpart Command-Line Utility to check if you have any disk3 information.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:56 AM
  • It would have been an excellent advice if I somehow had noticed when the event is triggered. Right now, Diskpart only shows one "Disk 0". But thank you for your advise.

Still, what about DR4?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Is it in the 'GLOBAL??' folder in winobj?  I have all the drive letters in there.

c:  symboliclink  \device\harddiskvolume3

d:  symboliclink  \device\cdrom0

t:  symboliclink  \device\thwdevice0

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:58 PM
  • It is like this:

\
    \ Device
     \ Harddisk0
      \ DR0
     \ Harddisk1
      \ DR1

As you can see, "Harddisk0" and "Harddisk1" are subfolders of "Device". But "DR0" and "DR1" are items.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Well, I guess I am making progress in finding out. Having visited Winobj.exe multiple times, it seems that I always have \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, which refers to my physical hard disk. But when I connect a USB flash drive for the first time in each session, I get a \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. Now, if I eject the device, naturally I no longer have \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. But if I reconnect the device, I get a \Device\Harddisk1\DR2. If I eject and connect another USB flash device, I will have \Device\Harddisk1\DR3, with no sign of DR2 or DR1.

So, in case of the log entry which I am looking at, the error has occurred on the fourth  physical storage device, that I had connected to my computer, designated Harddisk3. (Bear in mind that the count start from zero, not one.) However, DR4 means that at one occasion during the session, I had ejected one storage device and connected another.

These are all assumptions made based on experiments and may not be correct at all; maybe I have not accounted for something. Still, I guess I have my answer.

Friday, May 6, 2011 8:52 AM