none
Newbie Question: Regarding Duration and scheduling resources RRS feed

• Question

• My first project I am working on in Project Pro 2013 relies on about 20 contractors.  I am trying to give them "Duration", "Start Date" and "End Date" parameters to complete their work in; for example, I would like to tell a Contractor he has 10 business days to complete Task 1.

With this example, I use Auto-Schedule and place a 10 in the Duration field.  Then I set the Start Date to next Monday.  All good so far...

The actual amount of Work he has to do in this 10 day time period is only about 25 hours.  So I added the field "Baseline Work" and it reads 25 hrs.  I also added "Actual Work" which reads 0 hours for now.

The issue is tracking progress - when I add "% Complete", a field that divides Actual Duration by Duration, the percent showing up is far less than 100% when I place 25 hrs in the Actual Work field.  The software believes I am telling it the duration is 10 days (80 hours), and the work done is 25 hours (only 31% complete).

What is the best way to show completion, and track duration or deadlines for project tasks where contractors are not working full-time on the project?

Saturday, February 1, 2014 11:47 PM

Answers

• ZackP3,

What you need to do is to set the task Type field to Fixed Duration. Set the Duration to 10 days and the Work field to 25 hours. Project will linearly spread the 25 hours over the 10 day period but you can manually contour that by using the Task Usage or Resource Usage views. Now when you enter values in the Actual Work field, you will see the % Work field tracks.

If you wish to track variance from you original plan, then you should set a baseline. It sounds like you were trying to use the Baseline Work field to somehow set the limit on the work content of a 10 day task that was of type Fixed Units.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by ZackP3 Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:25 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:41 AM

All replies

• ZackP3,

What you need to do is to set the task Type field to Fixed Duration. Set the Duration to 10 days and the Work field to 25 hours. Project will linearly spread the 25 hours over the 10 day period but you can manually contour that by using the Task Usage or Resource Usage views. Now when you enter values in the Actual Work field, you will see the % Work field tracks.

If you wish to track variance from you original plan, then you should set a baseline. It sounds like you were trying to use the Baseline Work field to somehow set the limit on the work content of a 10 day task that was of type Fixed Units.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by ZackP3 Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:25 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:41 AM
  • John, this is huge and you rock.  That solved the problem!

I have a follow-up question regarding Automatic Scheduling that I will ask in another thread.

Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:25 PM
  • ZackP3,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback but actually I tend to roll more than rock - rollin', rollin', rollin'. . .

John

Monday, February 3, 2014 3:37 PM