Multiple problems with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Problem 1 - I upgraded over Windows Vista (32-bit) to Windows 7 (64-bit) and for some reason, I am no longer able to go into Administrator mode. Is there a way that I upgrade my log-in to have Administrator rights?

Problem 2 - My system now takes over 8 minutes to shut down. I've read about going into the registry and changing the page-swap vaule to 0, but since I can't log-on as administrator, I am prohibitted in doing that.

Problem 3 - Biggest headache !! Recently while doing a Windows Upgrade I had the following things occur. (1) All of the printers that were connected and worked just fine before the update, were uninstalled; i.e., showed no drivers. (2) In device manager, I now had yellow triangles on the following: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, Microsoft 6 to 4 Adapter, and Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter. When I tried to roll-back to previous driver, the system doesn't respond or roll back. I downloaded the drivers for these, and now they are showing as Installed and running correctly, but the triangles haven't gone away after a number of shut-downs and reboots.

Hardware specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz (Kentsfield 65nm Technology

RAM: 4.00 GB Dual Chandel DDR2 @ 332 MHz (5-5-5-15)

MOTHERBOARD: ACER G33T-AM (Socket 775)

Graphics: Generic Westinghouse Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@60Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (SVS Pine Group)

HARD DRIVES: 977 GB Seagate ST31000528AS (C: Drive)

488 GB Hitachi HDT725050VLA380 (D: Drive)

Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N

Audio: Creative X-fi Audio Processor (WDM)

As you can tell by this post, I've managed to get myself into a bit of a corner, and haven't been able to figure these problems out by myself. I used system restore to the earliest point I could find to get the system running again, but it didn't correct any of the problems that I've listed.  Please know in advance, that I really will be so thankful if someone can lead me to putting the system back to be fully restored without all of these problems. THANKS in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

Bellwave ( TN stumber )

• Edited by TN stumbler Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:51 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi TN stumbler,

Answer to Problem 1: You can't upgrade from x86 to x64,
    either your Vista was x64 or version of Windows 7 is x86. From my
    experience, I would recommend full, clean installation of Windows 7 rather than
    upgrade. No all drivers or software are compatible with Windows 7, which can be identifying after clean installation.

Also, Built-in Administrator account in Windows 7 is default disabled
    and can be enabled using System Management. However; when installing Windows 7
    on computer, a new account will be given full admin rights.

Answer to problem 2: If for the OS takes such long time to
    shut down, means plenty of issues, possibly running services or fixed registry
    key.

Answer to problem 3: Because you placed an upgrade to
    Windows 7, many drivers are not fully compatible with Windows 7 and needs to be
    updated.

Because you have has so many issues, it is pointless to
    start fix them, as they can be related and it is time consuming.

What I would recommend is:

1) Backup data

2) Download latest drivers to your devices for Windows 7 x64

3) Install Windows 7: clean install

4) Install required / missing drivers

Bartosz Kurowski Senior Desktop Support, Microsoft Cerified Trainer. MCP, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MOS

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Monday, March 26, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:11 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:42 AM

All replies

• To install the Windows 7 64 bit you need to format and then install the Windows 64 bit software. Then you need to go to the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacture and download all applicable drivers.
    For problem #3 

Try this. Go to control panel/system/device manager/ view hidden devices/ right click ipv6 and choose disable. Then disable everything with an exclamation mark. Then reboot.

After this you should download the latest version driver for your ethernet card.

• Edited by Schloicka Friday, March 23, 2012 9:20 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Hi TN stumbler,

Answer to Problem 1: You can't upgrade from x86 to x64,
    either your Vista was x64 or version of Windows 7 is x86. From my
    experience, I would recommend full, clean installation of Windows 7 rather than
    upgrade. No all drivers or software are compatible with Windows 7, which can be identifying after clean installation.

Also, Built-in Administrator account in Windows 7 is default disabled
    and can be enabled using System Management. However; when installing Windows 7
    on computer, a new account will be given full admin rights.

Answer to problem 2: If for the OS takes such long time to
    shut down, means plenty of issues, possibly running services or fixed registry
    key.

Answer to problem 3: Because you placed an upgrade to
    Windows 7, many drivers are not fully compatible with Windows 7 and needs to be
    updated.

Because you have has so many issues, it is pointless to
    start fix them, as they can be related and it is time consuming.

What I would recommend is:

1) Backup data

2) Download latest drivers to your devices for Windows 7 x64

3) Install Windows 7: clean install

4) Install required / missing drivers

Bartosz Kurowski Senior Desktop Support, Microsoft Cerified Trainer. MCP, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MOS

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Monday, March 26, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:11 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:42 AM