none
Store comments typed in table generated from Power query RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a way to store user comments/data but still use power query to load the data.

Lets say I have a simple table loaded from a different excel file (file comes from a database where I can only get excel extracts)

File contains columns:

ID  | Data1 | Data2 |  ive added also a custom column | Comments | with default value =null

If a user fills comments in that column and then later we refresh the table to get fresh data 1 and 2 from a new extract any comments that were added will vanish as the query will overwrite it with nulls.

How can I for example store data in a different table/file and merge it in a query by ID but still allow user to enter it in the same table so he can have standard view | ID | Data1 | Data2 | Comments ?

• Edited by Exanimis Friday, July 17, 2015 12:06 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 12:05 PM

Answers

• Well, you could keep all of your Excel files around and do an Append query to mash them all together. You could also import comments and ID separately into a different table each time and tie them together in diagram view by ID to your main table of ID, Data1, Data2, etc.

There really is no "INSERT" functionality in Power Query right now that allows you to simply append records to an existing table.

Friday, July 17, 2015 12:15 PM

All replies

• Well, you could keep all of your Excel files around and do an Append query to mash them all together. You could also import comments and ID separately into a different table each time and tie them together in diagram view by ID to your main table of ID, Data1, Data2, etc.

There really is no "INSERT" functionality in Power Query right now that allows you to simply append records to an existing table.

Friday, July 17, 2015 12:15 PM
  • The problem is users want to see data 1 and 2 and then write comments. IDs dont mean anything to users.

I may have problem with getting the full ID list so I would actually need to load it aswell acording to the file every time.

Friday, July 17, 2015 2:09 PM
  • Just because you link in ID doesn't mean that's what you have to display, create a matrix that displays Data 1 and Data 1 and Comments.  The Comments will appear below the Data 1 and Data 2 in the matrix.

You could create a separate query for ID if necessary to make sure you remove duplicates, etc and use that as a common table between Data 1 and Data 2 and Comments.

Friday, July 17, 2015 8:37 PM