none
Windows 2008 SP2 Remote Desktop Hangs after April 2018 Updates

Question

• We have a couple of legacy servers running 32-bit Windows Server 2008 SP2.  Last week, I installed Windows Updates for April 2018.  Since then, we are having issues with remote desktop.  You can log on using RDP once, but if you log off and try to log back on later using RDP, the server will hang on the login screen.  During this time, you can usually log in at the console, as long as it is a different user that is hung using RDP.  The server will usually work properly at the console.  If you have a user that is hung using RDP, the server will not do a restart or shutdown, it will just freeze upon the "Logoff" part of the process, you need to do a reset or power off of the server to get it back up.

One of the April 2018 updates included KB4093227, which is for the Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) denial of service vulnerability in Windows.  I believe this is our issue.  I have uninstalled this update with the same results, as well as reinstalled the update with the same results.  Whatever it does, it seems like at least 1 of the changes cannot be undone.  Has anyone seen this?  Any advice, besides the obvious to upgrade to a newer OS?  Thank you.

Monday, May 14, 2018 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

> I have uninstalled this update with the same results, as well as reinstalled the update with the same results.
    If server crashing problem is relate to KB4093227, then, problem should not happen again after un-installing it.

You had mentioned “April 2018 updates”, if possible, please try to un-install these update one by one to identify specific update which causing such problem.

Besides, please check Event Viewer on both client and server sides, some relate event may be found and helpful for further identification.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:43 AM
  • These problems started immediately after I installed the updates.  I have removed all of April 2018 updates at once, rebooted and the problem persisted.  I have checked the event viewer, but nothing stands out to me at all when the server hangs.  This happens to all of our Server 2008 SP2 servers, but not 2008 R2 and above.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 4:18 PM