none
Planned hours/Work in Resource Usage RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project plan that have different Start/Finish and Baseline Start/Finish

and in the Resource Usage View, I am seeing the planned hours/work for each resource, what is the basis for these hours? is it the Start/Finish? or Baseline Start/Finish? any source/links for the answer? thanks :)

----------------------- Sharepoint Newbie
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:17 AM

Answers

• Fix me,

It all depends on how you save the baseline. This baseline was saved without the resource being added to the task. A baseline is a picture in time of how you think things will work out. This is usefull to track changes to your planning in time. The difference here being that you had a task that required no work (e.g. it had no work resources assigned to it) and now it has. 

As Brian said, you can edit the Baseline work collum if you want. The sum up probably got deleted or the baseline work on the tasks got added later. I am wondering why you can edit the baseline anyway?, it should be a 'picture' in time should it not?

Hope this clarifies some things.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:12 AM

All replies

• The default Resource usage view will show the Assignment Start\Finish for each resource assignment. In some cases if you had more than one resource assigned to a task you could see some resources with dates that were different than the Task Start\Finish since some resources could start later or finish earlier than the task itself.
    Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:56 AM
  • How bout showing the total/roll up of the baseline work for each resource?

In my resource usage view, the default columns/ layout looks like this

| Resource Name | Work  |                       |   Dec 1    |  Dec 2    |    Dec 3    | Dec 4     |   Dec 5  |

User 1                   20                             |      4        |       4      |       4        |     4       |        4    |

Task 1               10                             |    2          |      2        |     2          |      2      |      2      |

Task 2               10                             |      2      |         2     |       2          |      2      |       2       |

I inserted the Baseline Work column and it looked like this

| Resource Name | Work  |       Baseline Work                |   Dec 1    |  Dec 2    |    Dec 3    | Dec 4     |   Dec 5  |

User 1                   20                  0                               |      4        |       4      |       4        |     4       |        4    |

Task 1               10                   8                               |    2          |      2        |     2          |      2      |      2      |

Task 2               10                    8                             | 2             |         2     |       2          |      2      |       2       |

How will I fix it that it will be in such a way that I can see the total Baseline Work (must be 16 instead of 0 ~see 2nd table) and the allocation per task will be based on the Baseline Work so it will be: (~see bold characters)

| Resource Name | Work  |       Baseline Work                |   Dec 1    |  Dec 2    |    Dec 3    | Dec 4     |   Dec 5  |

User 1                   20                  16                               |      4        |       4      |       4        |     2       |        2   |

Task 1               10                   8                               |    2          |      2        |     2          |      1    |      1     |

Task 2               10                    8                             | 2              |         2     |       2          |           |      1      |

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:19 AM
  • A few things:

how did you save your baseline? for me I see the sum of the two assignment baseline work fields when I look at the resource usage.

you can right click in the time phased area and insert Baseline Work if you like instead of work.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:25 AM
  • I just downloaded this project plan so I have no idea about the saving of the baseline.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

One question shocks me: " the allocation per task will be based on the Baseline Work "

Project doesn't work like that. Baselien values are a copy of planned values at a certain moment in time (when you decide to set a baseline). They are never used as a basis for (re)calculation of the planned value, they merely serve as a comparison base to highlight differences between the current plan (start, finish, work, cost...) and the baseline.

Greetings,

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Fix me,

It all depends on how you save the baseline. This baseline was saved without the resource being added to the task. A baseline is a picture in time of how you think things will work out. This is usefull to track changes to your planning in time. The difference here being that you had a task that required no work (e.g. it had no work resources assigned to it) and now it has. 

As Brian said, you can edit the Baseline work collum if you want. The sum up probably got deleted or the baseline work on the tasks got added later. I am wondering why you can edit the baseline anyway?, it should be a 'picture' in time should it not?

Hope this clarifies some things.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:12 AM