none
Slow, explorer crashing, low space on system SSD (Lenovo Y700-15ISK, windows 10 edu) RRS feed

• Question

• Machine: Y700-15ISK Laptop (<g class="gr_ gr_172 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="172" id="172">ideapad</g>) - Machine Type 80NV ( I7 16G 1T 128 10H; running a 1TB HD for data and a 128 GB SSD for the system and programs)
    BIOS Version/Date LENOVO CDCN25WW, 04/09/2015

My system is getting slow (so that characters are shown sometimes with a delay while typing on Word), explorer is crashing periodically several times per day (in the last week).
    All this after having some problems in saving with MS Office 2016 (Professional Plus, v16, 32bit), that made me do the following things in the (unsuccessful) attempt to solve it:
    - set the restore point system (with up to 10% = 9GB on the SSD)
    - set backup system (on <g class="gr_ gr_200 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="200" id="200">a external</g> HD)
    - set file history (on a second external HD)
    - make an online restore of the MS Office

I had already a google sync system on.

The office saving issue has been present for months but caused me a loss of data only a week ago (while saving it stalls; it created a 0Kb file with no data, crashed with no recovery or back-up of the data).

I also checked the following safety option for MS Word: "Prompt before saving Normal template", "Always create a backup copy" and "copy remotely stored files onto your computer, and update the remote file when saving".

In the following 2-3 days from the changes my SSD has gained about 40+GB in system files, explorer started immediately to crash periodically several times per day, google chrome became extremely slow and unreliable in loading pages and the system slowed down.

Just 1-2 weeks ago my computer was super fast and had only few issue in loading some <g class="gr_ gr_170 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="170" id="170">webpage</g>(and the underestimated saving issue / crashing in Office).

I have already done different trials.
    In this process I was supported by:
    - a friend, professional in IT
    - Microsoft support
    - Google support
    - my company IT support (twice)
    - Lenovo online <g class="gr_ gr_186 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="186" id="186">chat</g> support

These have been my trials and tests in the last 7-8 days (in order):
    - quick and online restore of Office
    - updated windows, office,<g class="gr_ gr_174 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="174" id="174">lenovo</g> system
    - update the graphic card
    - run my antivirus (Bitdefender)
    - scan disk
    - clean disk
    - defrag
    - Lenovo hardware scan (from the solution center)
    -my friend checked the communication with the SSD and HD with a pen drive reboot tool.
    - disable google sync
    - tried to disable indexing and file history of the <g class="gr_ gr_175 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="175" id="175">sistem</g> drive <g class="gr_ gr_202 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="202" id="202">(C: ,</g></g> ie. my SSD)
    - SSD diagnostic "SMART" tool (by CrystalDiskInfo diagnostic tool)
    -  uninstall my antivirus (Bitdefender)
    - uninstall recently added software (Openoffice and others)
    - to run an analysis of the space occupied and by the directory (by TreeSize software tool)
    - update all the drivers from the Device Manager

None of these things helped or detected any error or concerning sign: all is clear!
    However, I do find many error and warning messages in Windows Event Viewer and Computer management.

Only updating the drivers available on the Lenovo support page managed to give me about 5GB back.
    I have installed the following driver updates:
    Intel Management Engine Interface Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook
    Nvidia VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook
    Lenovo Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook
    Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook
    Energy Manager and Flight Mode Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook
    Audio Driver
    Camera Driver (Realtek, Intel)

My next move, suggested by my friend and the last 2, would be a system restore.
    However, for work commitments, I will not be able to do this for at least 3-4 weeks.

I would appreciate if anybody could find a solution/patch/update/diagnostic tool to fix the problem in a time efficient way.

I would try to update the BIOS (first to CDCN35WW then to CDCN37WW as I read here) but I am also concerned to make worse issues, since I am reading many people struggling with these BIOS updates, and I don't feel to be confident enough to deal with issues by the BIOS if the installation is not user-friendly and fool-proof.

A TreeSize analysis is showing that 30% or the space of the drive is occupied by the WIndowsfolder. 40% of its space is represented by <g class="gr_ gr_195 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="195" id="195">system32</g> folder. Within this 64% of it is represented by <g class="gr_ gr_196 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="196" id="196">driverStore</g> folder. Of it almost all the space is represented by FileRepository folder (containing 4.988 files and 788 <g class="gr_ gr_176 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="176" id="176">folers</g>):
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository = 6.9GB 

<g class="gr_ gr_181 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="181" id="181">Also</g> there are 3.953 <g class="gr_ gr_169 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="169" id="169">exe</g> and <g class="gr_ gr_171 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="171" id="171">ddl</g> files in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\ that <g class="gr_ gr_180 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="180" id="180">occupy</g> 2.2 GB.

Then C:\Windows\WinSxS folder occupies 6.1GB (68.993 files and 16.111 folders): it comprises folders with weird names such as:
     amd64_microsoft-windows-speechrecognizer-en-us_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240....
     x86_microsoft-windows-m..-components-jetcore_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.163...  
     wow64_microsoft-windows-rasserver_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_b...  

<g class="gr_ gr_182 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="182" id="182">Finally</g> there is the C:\Windows\Installer folder that occupies 2GB (913 files and 128 folders).

Then of course the C:\Program_ Files folder (12.5GB), containing also 7 files that alone occupy 9.7GB (hiberfil.sys = 6.3GB and pagefile.sys = =3.4 GB);
    C:\ProgramData = 8.6GB (within this 6.8GB occupied by Microsoft subfolder).
    C:\User\UserName\AppData = 6.9 GB
    C:\Program_Files_(x86) = 7.87 GB
    C:\Recovery = 6.2 GB
    C:\Drivers = 6.1 GB

{Drive: C:\ | Size: 96,9 GB | Used: 80,4 GB | Free: 16,4 GB | 4096 Bytes per Cluster (NTFS)
    This Folder: Size: 91,1 GB | Allocated: 87,8 GB | Files: 442.572 | Folders: 57.917 }

Thanks for the help!
    • Edited by Joe_Gichi Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:22 PM edit and spelling mistakes
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe_Gichi,

Are there any process occupied many system resources in the task manager?

"clean disk"
    Have you ticked the "System files" option?
    We could refer to the following link to free up the disk.
    Tips to free up drive space on your PC
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space

"explorer crashing"

Did the issue occur all the time or when we open a specific software?

First of all, please open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.

Please perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by third party service.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please refer to the following to collect the dump file to analyze the issue deeply.
    1. Click Start, input regedit in the search box, press Enter
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting
    3. Right-click Windows Error Reporting, choose New Key, name it LocalDumps.
    4. Right-click LocalDumps, choose New Key, name it Explorer.exe
    5. Click Explorer.exe, on the right pane, right-click choose New Expandable String Value, name it Dump Folder.
    6. Double-click Dump Folder, set the value date: C:\LocalDumps

Upload the dump file to OneDrive and paste the link here.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 26, 2016 4:32 AM

• Hi Joe_Gichi,

A healthy system files are necessary to make the system run well. Since the corrupted files couldn`t be fixed, we could perform an in-place upgrade repair to have a fix. Boot from a Windows 10 installation media and choose "Upgrade" install.

"I am not sure what dump file you are referring "
    The steps I have posted is used to collect dump files. If you followed my steps to configure the registry key, you will get a dump file in  C:\LocalDumps when the explorer crash again.  At present, we should ensure we have a healthy system files then take this step to analyze this issue deeply if the issue persists.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Joe_Gichi Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:48 AM

All replies

• I must admit that I did not read all of you posting, but this I found:
    "1TB HD for data and a 128 GB SSD for the system". There is a known issue in the anniversary update: Windows 10 may freeze after installing the Anniversary Update with this type of configuration.

as for the space, these are not from Windows:
    C:\Recovery = 6.2 GBC:\Drivers = 6.1 GB
    and you can probably move them to the different drive. As far as I remember, each installation of the drivers from lenovo extracts a copy of the installation to c:\drivers.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:11 PM
  • Hi Joe_Gichi,

Are there any process occupied many system resources in the task manager?

"clean disk"
    Have you ticked the "System files" option?
    We could refer to the following link to free up the disk.
    Tips to free up drive space on your PC
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space

"explorer crashing"

Did the issue occur all the time or when we open a specific software?

First of all, please open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.

Please perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by third party service.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please refer to the following to collect the dump file to analyze the issue deeply.
    1. Click Start, input regedit in the search box, press Enter
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting
    3. Right-click Windows Error Reporting, choose New Key, name it LocalDumps.
    4. Right-click LocalDumps, choose New Key, name it Explorer.exe
    5. Click Explorer.exe, on the right pane, right-click choose New Expandable String Value, name it Dump Folder.
    6. Double-click Dump Folder, set the value date: C:\LocalDumps

Upload the dump file to OneDrive and paste the link here.

Best regards

Friday, August 26, 2016 4:32 AM
  • Thanks for the help.
    I have tried already the clean disk also of the system files many times.
    In the task <g class="gr_ gr_38 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="38" id="38">manager</g> there <g class="gr_ gr_37 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="37" id="37">are</g> usually the antivirus taking 250MB and 1% or less of CPU, and Chrome the same.
    The explorer crashing happens sometimes very shortly after starting, sometimes later or after a long use; sometimes it does not happen for a while at all.
    I have tried the file system scan as you recommended and as found on a wiki article on this community.
    I did first the <g class="gr_ gr_69 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="69" id="69">sfc</g> (that found corrupt files that it was unable to <g class="gr_ gr_70 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="70" id="70">repari</g>), then CheckHealth, then ScanHealth, then again <g class="gr_ gr_71 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="71" id="71">sfc</g> (again with corrupt files that it was <g class="gr_ gr_72 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="72" id="72">anable</g> to repair).
    I repeated again CheckHealth and ScanHealth together. <g class="gr_ gr_41 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="41" id="41">This time</g> it said it had problems in finding the source file and generated a DIMS log file that I am attaching.
    ( Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]).
    The 3rd time I run the system file scan it still gave the same reply:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I am attaching also C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Then I restarted.
    I have tried to follow the other instruction you sent me.
    I am not sure what dump file you are referring <g class="gr_ gr_37 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="37" id="37">to:</g> so I have exported the folder Explorer.exe (explorer local dump.reg) and the "dump folder" (Dump folder.reg).
    All 4 files are at: 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ALA252w4oh6sgSk

(I may not be allowed to insert links)

UPDATE: I have uploaded also the EventViewer results

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArA252w4oh6shKUzJo0WNmgKKWglCA

• Edited by Joe_Gichi Friday, August 26, 2016 7:38 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 6:03 AM

• Hi Joe_Gichi,

A healthy system files are necessary to make the system run well. Since the corrupted files couldn`t be fixed, we could perform an in-place upgrade repair to have a fix. Boot from a Windows 10 installation media and choose "Upgrade" install.

"I am not sure what dump file you are referring "
    The steps I have posted is used to collect dump files. If you followed my steps to configure the registry key, you will get a dump file in  C:\LocalDumps when the explorer crash again.  At present, we should ensure we have a healthy system files then take this step to analyze this issue deeply if the issue persists.

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Joe_Gichi Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Thanks.

1. for the dump file I had followed your instructions. I don't have a directory such as C:\LocalDumps

2. the media installation tool does not mention Windows 10 education that is what I have. Is this the same? <g class="gr_ gr_178 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="178" id="178">Also</g> can I use it just to restore health instead of reinstalling the OS as explained in the following link?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:04 AM

• Ok, I have read that they are not the same, so I managed to download my ISO for educational at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicISO

Now here is the ISO: Windows 10 Education Version: 10.0.10240.16384

And here is the build of my system: Version 10.0.10240

Both 64bit and English (US).

Can I do the RestoreHealth from that ISO (mounted on F: ) with the following command line ?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:F:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:55 AM
  • Sorry, I have seen that during my previous scans I got exactly the same version.

So I tried with the line that I wrote but it is saying :

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

What can I do?

I have also downloaded the media creation tool for academic products. Would that help?

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:11 AM
  • I see that other people had exactly the same problem in 2015 (1 year ago) and even a clean reinstall didn't fix the problem, so I would prefer to avoid that:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image-3.html

The same thread says that this thing is fixed with the anniversary update. But I am reading that it is causing problems on PC with the windows OS running on an SSD and data stored in an HD as in my case. So, since I can delay the update with Windows 10 Educational, I will wait as much as possible before install it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/248177/whats-new-in-windows-10s-anniversary-update/
    • Edited by Joe_Gichi Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:45 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:29 AM