Vista no longer responds to certian keyboard shortcuts. RRS feed

• Question

• So I've run into an annoying problem this last weekend and I can't seem to find a way to fix it.   The problem is I am no longer able to use the Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+D, and Ctrl+F keyboard shortcuts in Vista.  This problem isn't limited to just one program, but rather effects both the desktop explorer and every program I run.  Here are the facts that I know so far.

1.  Keyboard is working fine, I even switched keyboards but the problem persists.
    2.  The Control Key on the keyboard is working fine as I am able to individual group select with this key and the mouse.
    3.  The A, S, D, and F keys work as when I type they appear just fine.
    4.  This is not the first the error has occurred but is the longest occurrence, typically the problem seemed to go away or I had to perform a system restore to get it to work.  The system restore trick no longer works however and the problem isn't going away.
    5.  I haven't installed any new software that would explain why this occurred.  But rather the problem seems to be triggered by viewing a random folder.
    6.  Enabling sticky keys or when I use the onscreen keyboard I am able to use the shortcuts.  However this would not be a useful permanent solution.
    7.  The problem persists on all User accounts, not just my own.

Here are the steps I have taken to correct this problem.
    1.  Performed a System File Checker, no errors found.
    2.  Performed a registry Repair, no effect
    3.  Deleted the Bags folder in the Registry then restarted, no effect.
    4.  Performed a system restore (both one day prior to error and 3 weeks prior to error), no effect.
    5.  Used the FixSingleSelect script, no effect.
    6.  Used the Reset Folders option on at least 3 dozen folder over several attempts, no effect.

As you can see this problem is driving me insane.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would even be willing to name my first child after anyone who can provide a solution.

Very Respectfully,
    Kyle
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have any third party keyboard software installed, please disable or uninstall them to check the result.

If the issue persists, please create new user account to see if the user profle is corrupt:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-a-user-account

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:34 AM