Turn off Right Click RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I know this is CRAZY, but is there a way to turn of right click functionality on analytic reports/grids/etc?

Don't ask....but the gist of my request lies in this:

4 reports on a dashboard

1 Filter

Filter affects each report on the screen

Say I click 1 level down in the filter but then on an individual report, drill down to a different level.  The filter still says I'm at the level above where I really am for that report, which is confusing to the user.  Thus, I want to prevent drill down so users are not confused.

If anyone can think of a better way to solve this problem, I'd love to hear it.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:12 PM

Answers

• Most of the the right-click functionality in an Analytic Grid or Chart is disabled when you write your own MDX or customise/alter the DD-generated MDX in any way on the Query tab. You'll know that the functionality is restricted when the Browse button disappears from the bottom right corner of the Design tab DD and you see a "Revert to Design" link at the top left.

This would be the simplest method of restricting user's ability to drill down on these reports. As a result the only functionality they will have access to execute is drillthrough or Show Detail actions on the source cube.

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:52 AM

All replies

• This suggestion has not been tested ... but try to render the report as an image. The filter would still work and the user will not have the right-click functionality.

Hope this works.

Christian

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:29 AM
  • Most of the the right-click functionality in an Analytic Grid or Chart is disabled when you write your own MDX or customise/alter the DD-generated MDX in any way on the Query tab. You'll know that the functionality is restricted when the Browse button disappears from the bottom right corner of the Design tab DD and you see a "Revert to Design" link at the top left.

This would be the simplest method of restricting user's ability to drill down on these reports. As a result the only functionality they will have access to execute is drillthrough or Show Detail actions on the source cube.

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:52 AM
  • Nick,

By doing this, it seems you lose out on the ability for filtering to affect the report.  Can you confirm?  I tried this and as soon as I just added a space at the top of the MDX, my filtering for the report no longer worked.  If this is the case, it will not fulfill my needs.  If you have any insight I'd appreciate it.

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Christian,

Can you explain how to render a report as an image?

Thanks!

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:29 PM
  • You do not lose your ability to filter the data; when using customised MDX you need to create <<Parameter>> placeholders to the MDX code. There is a Parameters interface at the bottom of the query window where you can configure test values.

Cheers,

Nick

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Parameter placeholders.  Are you aware of another post where I can understand how to do what I need to?

If not, can you explain how I would maintain filtering.  Let say, for example, my report contains a background element of a Time Calculation, that contains three values, YTD/MTD/QTD.

I have filter called "Time" on my dashboard.  How do I include a parameter in my report MDX to filter that report by the value selected in the Time filter?

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Reference the PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer Help file. Look under "Create a custom MDX parameter for an analytic chart or grid". This should give you the information you need.

HTH,

Nick

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Hi, when I browse my analytic grid and view my drill down structure, after, when I add my parameters filters and preview my report then I can't do the drill down... Whats wrong?

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:54 AM