Computer shuts off completely then reboots by itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

So here is the Issue,

Recently buit a new pc running windows 7. When ever i am gaming, randomly the computer will completely shut off, no warning or errors or notice. then after 3 seconds will reboot as if some one has just turned it back on.

I have unchecked the "Automatically Restart" box in system tools to see if the error message appears on restart, and upon restart it ignores this feature and restarts fresh as normal.
    (although it does ask if i want to start in safe mode as the computer did not correctly shut down)

Everything is brand new on the PC's hardware List EXCEPT FOR THE HARD DRIVE/S which are: WDC WD80 0BB-00JHC0 SCSI Disk Device and; WDC WD80 0JB-00JJA0 SCSI Disk Device.
    as they are still there from my old pc build which i had back in '07.

I am unsure as to wether it may be a hard drive compatibility issue as the hard drives are 3 years old and everything else is new. I have also checked the amount of ram given to both C: (system and programs) and E:(games) hard drives are running the same amounts of ram.

I do not use any overclocking and i have checked all temperatures of all possible devices prior to and directly after crashes, and all are running within optimal ranges.
    I have also Conducted a registry clean of all previously installed drivers from the graphics cards and only installed the one latest version.
    This fixed the issue for about 6 weeks before it started again.

The power cables have all been checked and are all running properly. I can only imagine that this would now be a hardware issue.

The question is, Which piece of hardware does the issue lay with and how do i fix it,  VERY frustrated. Any help GREATLY APPRECIATED>

Cheers.

Listed below is relevent PC data.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in event log veiwer its gives me the following data:

System

- Provider
          [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated
          [ SystemTime] 2010-12-28T08:15:10.770828500Z

EventRecordID 81662

Correlation

- Execution
          [ ProcessID] 4
          [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer ***********

- Security
          [ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
        BugcheckParameter1 0x0
        BugcheckParameter2 0x0
        BugcheckParameter3 0x0
        BugcheckParameter4 0x0
        SleepInProgress false
        PowerButtonTimestamp 0

The NEW Hardware Stats are:

- Thermaltake Litepower 700W
    - ASUS P6x58D-E Motherboard
    - Intel Core i7 930
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB, OC External Exhaust
    - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (3x2GB) DDR3

The OLD Hardware Stats are:
    (hard drives)

- WDC WD80 0BB-00JHC0 SCSI Disk Device 
    - WDC WD80 0JB-00JJA0 SCSI Disk Device

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:16 AM

Answers

• You should press the CAPS LOCK key if your PC hangs/freezes which is not your case.

2. this means you should check your RAM for errors. Please download memtest86+ [1], burn a new bootable CD (use a CD-RW if possible) from the ISO (download and use ImgBurn [2] to do this or make double click on the ISO in Windows 7), reboot your PC and scan your RAM 4-5hours for errors. If it detects errors, replace the faulty RAM.

5. Go into the BIOS and load the default BIOS settings.

André

[1] http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip
    [2] http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:58 PM

All replies

• Read this KB article and check the steps under scenario 3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Does it help?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Andre,

Reference your reply, i had already read through this after i found my error view log screen.
    This solution seems to be based around the idea of pressing the CAPS LOCK key...... and seeing if there is a response in the light.

My counter query is, if you are talking about the need to press the CAPS LOCK KEY when the issue happens. then i can safely say that this is of no use at all, as there IS NO warning prior to the system shutting off, upon the system restarting itself it does so in a normal and orderly fashion with the exception of asking wether or not id liek to run in safe mode. which i have already explained.

unless it is referring to using the CAPS LOCK key in a different way or at a different time to which i am not currently aware.

the Scenario 3 fixes are listed as:

1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
    2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
    3. Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
    4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
    5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.
    6. (final bottom solution) Unchecking auto restart.

my solutions to this are:
      1. Overclocking not running. Already done (pre first post)
      2. I dont know what a memory checker is or how to use it. ( i am not very computer tech savvy)
      3. Power supply is more than enough to provide all assets combined. Already checked (pre first post)
      4. all temps are running optimal. Already checked (pre first post)
      5. I dont understand what this means, what it will do and how to do it. It only crashes and dies during gaming.
      6. Already done. (pre first post)

Please get back to me with any further info that i may have over looked, thanks very much andre, much appreciated my friend.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:27 PM
  • You should press the CAPS LOCK key if your PC hangs/freezes which is not your case.

2. this means you should check your RAM for errors. Please download memtest86+ [1], burn a new bootable CD (use a CD-RW if possible) from the ISO (download and use ImgBurn [2] to do this or make double click on the ISO in Windows 7), reboot your PC and scan your RAM 4-5hours for errors. If it detects errors, replace the faulty RAM.

5. Go into the BIOS and load the default BIOS settings.

André

[1] http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip
    [2] http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:58 PM
  • hi again andre,

I downloaded the memtest 86 and burnt the image on to a Re-writeable dvd, then changed the boot order to the cd drive. 

launched it but it just continues to load windows as normal.

Im really lost my friend. any thoughts?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:23 PM
  • How did you created the CD? burning the ISO on the CD doesn't work.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:25 PM
  • I downloaded memtest, and imgburn then found the iso in the memtest and burnt it onto the cd and then tried to boot it from that and it just loads straight back to normal windows.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:59 PM
  •  burnt it onto the cd

NOT ON the CD.

Make a double click on the ISO in Windows 7 or run ImgBurn and select "Write Image to disk" and select the ISO!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:24 PM
  • It wotn allow me to burn it onto the disk andre,

I have also found this.
    Let me know if this means anything to you.
    Cheers.

More details about my computer <input style="width: 150px; height: 25px;" onclick="ShowPrintDialog();" type="button" value="Print this page" />

Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz 7.4
      Determined by lowest subscore
    Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.7
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 7.2
    Gaming graphics 2299 MB Total available graphics memory 7.2
    Primary hard disk 12GB Free (75GB Total) 4.1
    Windows 7 Home Premium

System  
      Manufacturer System manufacturer
      Model System Product Name
      Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
      System type 32-bit operating system
      Number of processor cores 4
      64-bit capable Yes
    Storage  
      Total size of hard disk(s) 149 GB
      Disk partition (C:) 12 GB Free (75 GB Total)
      Media drive (D:) CD
      Disk partition (E:) 14 GB Free (75 GB Total)
      Media drive (F:) CD/DVD
      Media drive (H:) CD/DVD
    Graphics  
      Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
      Total available graphics memory 2299 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
            Dedicated system memory 0 MB
            Shared system memory 1275 MB
      Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896
      Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
      DirectX version DirectX 10
    Network  
      Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Notes  
      The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
      Caution: Based on the results of the WinSAT Disk assessment, your system drive may have slower response times under some workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and the amount of memory available. If your experience is satisfactory, no action is needed.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 10:12 AM
  • It wotn allow me to burn it onto the disk andre,

this is a ZIP file. Extract the zip first to get the ISO.

Monday, January 3, 2011 3:15 PM
  • THE SAME HAPPENS TO ME!!!

Its not always whilst gaming though. Just happened again now (this time in a game), thats what provoked me to come have another look for solutions.

My stats (similar to yours):

Win7 Premium 64bit

Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 700W PSU

MSI H67MA-E45 mother board

G.Skill RipJaws (1x4GB) RAM

Intel i5 3.3Ghz 1155 CPU

NVidea GeForce GTX 460 1GB Cyclone GPU

Pioneer RWDVD

Ive had my PC for about 1 month now. I built it my self. 6 times it has randomly cut out and then reboots its self (according to log files). It can cut out whilst browsing on the internet (not resource demanding), when gaming (high resources) or even when booting up into windows. It doesnt seem to happen when my system is idle though. Left it on for a few days and stayed on the whole time. Its happened on the following dates:

30/6/11

29/6/11

26/6/11

23/6/11

18/6/11

02/6/11

Fairly random. I just flashed my BIOS with the latest, still persists. Updated GPU Driver, still persists. Im going to do that memory test someone mentioned earlier in the post. I'll update you.

I use Avast and SpyBot SD and never found anything.

We have similar CPU, similar RAM and similar Graphics...

Shaun

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Am I missing something or is the fact that Bergz hard drive only has 12G free may be the cause?  With only that much left (of a 75G max HD), it could very well be trying to do some disk cacheing and fails at it.  The very first thing I would do is get a much larger HD and re-install (or Ghost) the OS to the new one.

Bill

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:20 PM
  • this is happening to me aswell did anyone have a solution to this problem please?

i7 2600k

asus p8z68

8gb ram

saphaire 9650 graphics

950watt power (cheap thou)

cpu temp high of 50 degrees c

ran prime95 at first when i built it

ran gpu furMark stress test seemed ok b4 comp restared it self temp went to 70c and stuck

not tested ram by its self but prime95 did seemed ok tested for 2hours

any help would be gr8 hope ppl still look at this

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:56 PM
  • I'm having the same problem: about half the time I hear a small whisper from my box, which may be the hard-drive shutting down?-- then the computer fails (no blue screen even though I have it set to show the blue screen on error). Event viewer doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. This only happens when running game or game development that makes heavy use of the graphics cards. But for good measure, I've tested RAM (bought all new sticks), tried two hard drives, and made sure the hard-drives never sleep while I'm testing.

What is PROBABLY the case is a bad mother board. In fact, anytime I've had issues in the past, replacing the MOBO solved all of them that were hard to diagnose (and I find, many people have troubles with MOBOs). They are quite sensitive to static electricity and any messing around near them (installing new things, etc.) can easily cause problems. 

But sure, run memtest on the ram, makes sure you have enough power (if you have a graphics card that is intense, it can eat 300 Watts easy), be sure to run chkdsk on the harddrive.. if this doesn't solve, almost always the MOBO.

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Just noticed that I hadn't posted the fix to this post - had the Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 700W PSU replaced under warranty. Since posing in this thread in 2011 the computer has been running fine.

Shaun

Shaun

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:17 AM