none
No internet after VPN connection. Unchecking the "use default gateway" solution does not completely fix my poblem

Question

• When I log into a VPN through windows, I am no longer able to access the internet. I have tried the solutions posted in this community regarding unchecking the "use default gateway" option. Doing this allows me to have internet access after I log into the VPN but I am no longer able to access the network shared files. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. Can someone help me?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

To access internet and VPN, you can configure the VPN connection to use the default gateway on the remote network. This setting overrides the default gateway settings that you specify in your Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings.

To resolve the issue, you need to make the following configurations.

Step 1: You need to contact your administrator of the VPN Server to configure the Server that is running routing and remote access to use a static IP address pool.

Step 2: Disable Use default gateway on remote network setting in the VPN connection item on the client computer.

1.go to Control Panel (small icons)>network and sharing center>Change adapter settings which is in the left panel.

2.Right-click the VPN connection that you want to change, and then click Properties.

3.Click the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the Components checked are used by this connection list, and then click Properties.

4.Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Use default gateway on remote network check box.

5.Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.

Step 3: Connect to the Server That Is Running Routing and Remote Access

Step 4: Add a static route on the client use route print command.

More information about the detailed steps, please see

You Cannot Connect to the Internet After You Connect to a VPN Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

Also, there is a topic for the Remote Access VPN Connections for your reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958048.aspx

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

You need to contact the administrator of your company. He can change the VPN server settings.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

To access internet and VPN, you can configure the VPN connection to use the default gateway on the remote network. This setting overrides the default gateway settings that you specify in your Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings.

To resolve the issue, you need to make the following configurations.

Step 1: You need to contact your administrator of the VPN Server to configure the Server that is running routing and remote access to use a static IP address pool.

Step 2: Disable Use default gateway on remote network setting in the VPN connection item on the client computer.

1.go to Control Panel (small icons)>network and sharing center>Change adapter settings which is in the left panel.

2.Right-click the VPN connection that you want to change, and then click Properties.

3.Click the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the Components checked are used by this connection list, and then click Properties.

4.Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Use default gateway on remote network check box.

5.Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.

Step 3: Connect to the Server That Is Running Routing and Remote Access

Step 4: Add a static route on the client use route print command.

More information about the detailed steps, please see

You Cannot Connect to the Internet After You Connect to a VPN Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

Also, there is a topic for the Remote Access VPN Connections for your reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958048.aspx

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Vincent,

Thank you for responding to my question. However, I'm not clear on your instructions (Sorry I'm not very IT smart). I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate on my  home computer. I have a router connected to my cable modem at work. When I go home, I have a simple VPN set up through Windows Network Connections set up where I connect to my network files through the cable modems IP Address. With the "Use default gateway on remote network" option checked, I cannot access the internet once connected to the VPN from home but I can access the network files. With the "Use default gateway on remote network" option cleared, I can access the internet while logged into the VPN, but cannot access the network files.

I do not have a static IP Address as I do not want to pay the extra amount monthly for a statis IP so I am running on a dynamic IP. I recently switched over to a Cablet ISP from DSL, but while I had DSL, my setup was very similar with a dynamic IP and I could log into the VPN, access network files, and still have internet connectivity.

I've been to the webpage in your first link before but I could not get past Step 1 because I could not locate the Routing and Remote Access. Even if I located it, I'm not sure what the remaind of the instructions in Step 1 is telling me.

Would you be able to provide further assistance?

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand that you have to let the VPN server administrator to configure this on the server side, not your Windows 7 client side. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:42 AM
  • Vincent,

Thats probably the part I do not understand. I don't have a VPN server administrator. I don't even know what that is exactly. I have 1 computer at work (running Windows XP) and I have 1 computer at home (Windows 7). From my home computer I access the files from my work computer through a simple VPN connection setup in Microsoft Windows. I don't have a "VPN Server Administrator"

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

You need to contact the administrator of your company. He can change the VPN server settings.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:43 AM
  • This is a horrible response and is of no help to the OP. He is setting up a computer to computer VPN connection and this has nothing to do with the administrator of the company.
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:15 AM