none
Short Term Scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble setting up short term schedules. The projects will be two days in duration at most.  Many of the tasks are short (.25 hrs).  When generating the tasks with the durations, the Gantt bar lengths are accurate. As I link them, many of the .25 hrs task bar lengths are 1 hour in length.  I've set the calendar to 24 hours and the work week to 7 days prior entering the tasks hoping that any constraints would be avoided. I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suppose this is only a matter of graphics, that the calculation of Start and Finish are still accurate?

To verify whather the problem can be avoided, I need some details.

Which version of Project are you running?

What are the timescale settings?

Greetings,

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:18 PM
  • I can't reproduce your problem. Entering tasks with dependencies and short durations, including ones that are not exact multiples of 15 minutes, produces an accurate Gantt chart when zoomed in (Middle tier hours, bottom tier minutes for the timescale).

I'd be surprised if changing the calendar to be 7x24 would make any difference.

Do you have any dependencies involving summary tasks?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thank you for the response.  I am using Project 2010 with a 1 tier (middle) timescale set to hours.  The project should take 13.75 hours beginning at 8:00 AM, and should finish at 8:45 PM.  The bars end at 9:00.

Thanks for the help,

Jack

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I am not using summary tasks and am using a 1 tier (middle) timeline set to hours.

Thanks,

Jack

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Thanks, Jack, for the extra info. Even using just a single tier for the timescale, my sample still comes out right and agrees with the time in the task start and finish columns. A mystery!
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:02 PM
  • It's a very simple project, and it may be a screen resolution issue.  Would you be so kind as to look at it if I emailed it?

Thanks again,

Jack

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

I vaguely remember having seen this before. Could indeed be a question of screen resolution.

You can send the file to

jandemesATprom-ade.be

replacing AT by @

Greetings,

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Jack sent me the file. No problem except for "Bar rounding errors".

Jack, if you set the middle tier of the timescale to hours (label it 11:00... for clarity's sake)  and the bottom tier to minutes (by 30, please not 31 as it was set - that may well be the culprit) all bar lengths are exact.

As for your other question go to file, Options, General, and set Date format to 11:33

When entering a date you can also just type 9:15 (even with a different Date Format setting)

Greetings,

Friday, February 15, 2013 7:03 PM