none
Project Schedule and Assigned Task Suddenly Not Appearing on Timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Has anyone seen this scenario before:

We are working on Project Serve 2010 with SEM timesheet entries. We have a project that has been ongoing since 2013, with no update or timesheet issues so far. We have come across the following issue this week:

There are 3 resources who cannot see their assigned tasks on their timesheet. In all cases, the resources are the assignment owners, the tasks in question are published ("Yes"), and the resources are committed. The project is published.

In 2 out of 3 of the cases, the resources are unable to add the task(s) to their timesheet because the project does not appear on the list of projects in the "insert task" icon drop down list. In the 3rd case, the resource can see the project in the drop down list, but not the assigned task.

The project schedule has gotten caught up in the queue on at least 2 occassions in the last couple of days. Currently a status update from this morning (6/23/14) is in the queue with the status "skipped for optimization" with a 20% completion. There is no error listed. I cannot cancel or retry the job because those 2 icons are grayed out.

Any idea(s) what might be going on here; perhaps behind the scenes? I have checked everything I can think of to resolve this issue. Every thing in the project schedule looks to be in order. Timesheets have been processed against the schedule for months with no issues.

I am not very familiar with the queue. Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks.

Judy Washington

Monday, June 23, 2014 3:26 PM

Answers

• All,

None of the suggestions offered worked so in order to resolve this issue we had to delete the original tasks and re-create them in the project schedule and then and only then did they show up on the timesheets.

This is not the 1st time we've come across this issue - where a task had to be deleted and re-created before it appeared on a timesheet. In my mind that is not a "solution" but simply a work around, but at any rate it allowed us to get the timesheet processed. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Judy Washington

• Marked as answer by Judy IPD Monday, June 23, 2014 7:41 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Judy,

Try cancelling the job, then publish the plan from PWA to see if it works.

Then change the assignment owner of the assignments in question for somehow else (it does not matter), publish the project, change the assignment owner back to the resource name and publish again the project.

Finally if this doesn't work, you could try restarting the queue service.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:58 PM
  • Judy,

Looks like you have checked all common culprits. Reaching into some extremes here.

Few more suggestions:

1) Could be user machine/browser/display  Have them log into PWA on another PC and try.

2) Because you are using SEM, you should be able to see the task under "Tasks". This will isolate the issue to timesheets.

3) Any filters on the timesheet view

4) remaining work on the task/assignment in question.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:05 PM
  • I am unable to cancel the job because that icon is grayed out. (see my note).

Judy Washington

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Prasanna,

I have checked items 2-4 on your list already and have been able to rule them out as being the problem.

I will try #1 and let you know.

Thanks.

Judy Washington

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:18 PM
  • All,

None of the suggestions offered worked so in order to resolve this issue we had to delete the original tasks and re-create them in the project schedule and then and only then did they show up on the timesheets.

This is not the 1st time we've come across this issue - where a task had to be deleted and re-created before it appeared on a timesheet. In my mind that is not a "solution" but simply a work around, but at any rate it allowed us to get the timesheet processed. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Judy Washington

• Marked as answer by Judy IPD Monday, June 23, 2014 7:41 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Guillaume,

I did not try your suggestions, but instead used a work around as I noted above (had already started the work around when I saw your post). Thanks.

Judy Washington

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Judy,

I agree with you. This is a workaround, and it would be nice to figure out what the root cause is. At this point, I would break out the ULS logs and see if there is something else going on with that particular assignment. 

Anyway, glad you were able to work past the issue :)

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Judy,

I had the same thing occur for a resource but we are using Tasks (not timesheets).  I had gone through the steps mentioned in the posts, and still no resolution.  I ended up deleting the resource from Resource Center, and then re-adding the resource to Resource Center.  This was not convenient, but it did keep the previously entered hours intact and tasks intact since it was not a remove of resource from task.  It transitions the enterprise resource to a local resource.  The side effect of this is an acknowledgement on the schedules the resource was assigned to upon opening up each schedule to sub out the local resource for enterprise resource. 

This may be an option if this occurs again for you if the root cause is not found. 

Cheryl

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Hi Cheryl

Thanks for the input. I ended up deleting and re-entering the tasks in the project schedule to resolve the issue. Not ideal but best work around for us.

Judy

Judy Washington

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Prasanna,

Forgive my ignorance but what are ULS logs? I do not have any technical background - I "inherited" the server admin position by default and am not familiar with much of it.

Judy Washington

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:03 PM
  • ULS logs are kind of 'activity' logs that log all (or configured) the transactions happening on the server. Most (~ may not always) of the times they give insight into what is going wrong, if you know how to interpret them. 

if you haven't changed path, you should be able to find the logs under  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS\

Path is defined in Central Administration - Monitoring - Reporting - Configure diagnostic logging.

Here is a nice guide from my good friend and Project MVP, Alex Burton on this topic: http://epmsource.com/2010/11/06/what-is-a-project-server-correlation-id/

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:59 PM