none
Need Help in Moving DPM 2007 Server to New Domain Now RRS feed

• Question

• I have removed all my protection groups and uninstalled all agents in preparation for moving my DPM 2007 server to its new domain.  I just uninstalled DPM and I have gotten the report below. Can I rename server and move it to its new domain and re-install DPM 2007 or do I need to address anything in this report?

DPM Setup was unable to remove DPM and the protection agent from the Windows Firewall exceptions list.
    If Windows Firewall is enabled, remove DPM and the protection agent from the exceptions list. In Control Panel, click Windows Firewall, click the Exceptions tab, and then delete Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 and the Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 Replication Agent from the list of exceptions.

DPM Setup was unable to remove the protected computers from the BUILTIN\Distributed COM Users group.
    Delete the protected computers from the group. On the Administrative Tools menu, click Computer Management. Expand Local Users and Groups, and then click Groups. Right-click BUILTIN\Distributed COM Users, and then click Delete.  I completed this step just now.

DPM Setup was unable to uninstall the Dr. Watson version that DPM installed.
    For information about manually uninstalling Dr. Watson, see "Troubleshooting" in DPM Setup Help.

Setup was unable to remove reports deployed with SQL Server Reporting Services.
    If you are reinstalling DPM on this computer, no action is necessary. If you are not reinstalling DPM, you must uninstall SQL Server 2005 to remove the reports.

A restart is required to complete the uninstallation of Data Protection Manager.

Peter Jam
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:27 PM

Answers

• Robert,

I am up against a schedule to get back up so i renamed the server and moved it to the new domain.

When I tried re-installing I get an error with IIS (v6.0) so I removed it and added it back, but get same thing.

The Default Web site that Internet Information Services (IIS) uses is disabled. You cannot install or run SQL Server Reporting Services if this Web site is unavailable.At the command prompt, run inetmgr.exe. To enable the Default Web site, expand the Web Sites folder, right-click Default Web Site, and then click Start.

When I tried to start it says:  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I noticed that the Program Files directory is still there should I remove it before re-installing?  Or is this just a permissions problem.  I even tried it after stopping the Enterprise Trend Micro Virus program.

Thursday morning, I can not figure out how to fix this and must move forward.  I am headed to the server room now to format and re-install Windows 2003 32-bit and DPM 2007

As a last resort, I started killing processes in Task manager and when i tried again I was able to start IIS Default Web Page. DPM is in the process of installing now. I will uninstall all other programs as it looks like one of them has caused my problem with Reporting i have had for some time. The only programs installed are HP, which other than Array manager I can live without. Peter Jam
    • Edited by pjamme Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:54 PM New update
    • Marked as answer by pjamme Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter!

You can not change the domain or comutername for a DPM server since the DPM database (DPMDB) is hard coded with those. I don't know if the product team has a supported way of doing this but as far as I know your scenario is not supportet.

You can try this:

• Copy all if your replica data to an net share or external disk.
    • Install a new DPM server in the new domain and configure it.
    • When creating protection groups choose to manually create your replicas.
    • Copy the old replica data into the new create replica volume (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399552.aspx)
    • Run a consistencey check manually

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Thanks robert,

I have done all that.  I have uninstalled DPM in preparartion to rename and migrate to new domain and re-install DPM.

My question was whether I needed to do anything suggested in that report before I proceeded?

I wasn't planning on using any of the old disk data, in fact I deleted all of that in preparation for the new install.  I have a copy of all the shares on an external drive.  Also have a year of tape backups if needed.

I was having Reporting problems so I did uninstall SQL Server 2005 2-16.

Peter Jam

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Robert,

I am up against a schedule to get back up so i renamed the server and moved it to the new domain.

When I tried re-installing I get an error with IIS (v6.0) so I removed it and added it back, but get same thing.

The Default Web site that Internet Information Services (IIS) uses is disabled. You cannot install or run SQL Server Reporting Services if this Web site is unavailable.At the command prompt, run inetmgr.exe. To enable the Default Web site, expand the Web Sites folder, right-click Default Web Site, and then click Start.

When I tried to start it says:  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I noticed that the Program Files directory is still there should I remove it before re-installing?  Or is this just a permissions problem.  I even tried it after stopping the Enterprise Trend Micro Virus program.

Thursday morning, I can not figure out how to fix this and must move forward.  I am headed to the server room now to format and re-install Windows 2003 32-bit and DPM 2007

As a last resort, I started killing processes in Task manager and when i tried again I was able to start IIS Default Web Page. DPM is in the process of installing now. I will uninstall all other programs as it looks like one of them has caused my problem with Reporting i have had for some time. The only programs installed are HP, which other than Array manager I can live without. Peter Jam
    • Edited by pjamme Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:54 PM New update
    • Marked as answer by pjamme Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:32 PM