"ActiveX Installer Service" equivalent for Terminal Services on Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My scenario is using Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition.

A Terminal server is used for remote users to access local resources on an office network.
    The users need to access an internal website that makes use of an ActiveX control within Internet Explorer.
    The users are non-administrators, but require the ability to install the ActiveX control.
    Unfortunately with UAC configured, ActiveX controls are blocked to non-admins.

Had non-admins been logging into a Vista PC rather than a terminal server, I understand I could use the ActiveX Installer Service and Group Policy to allow users to install the control.
    With Server 2008, there doesn't seem to be an option to install this service.

Can somebody advise how I can overcome this, or suggest another method for pre-installing or approving the ActiveX control for installation, even with UAC present?

Regards,
    -Peter
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:00 PM

Answers

• I managed to solve this issue by getting an administrator to log in and install the activeX control through IE.
    Then all other users automatically have access to the installed control.
    • Marked as answer by PMulhearn Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:13 PM

All replies

• Have you tried going into install mode prior to installing the activex control? 

There's a thread that seems related here:
    http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/t/21123.aspx

Thanks,
    Drew

Monday, December 15, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Oh and here's the general advice for installing apps on your TS:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740091.aspx

Drew
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:05 PM
  • I managed to solve this issue by getting an administrator to log in and install the activeX control through IE.
    Then all other users automatically have access to the installed control.
    • Marked as answer by PMulhearn Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:13 PM