incredible! Dropbox started causing mce in windows 10 10240 and 10586 builds RRS feed

• General discussion

• During the night the pc got updated and reboot by schedule update.

In the morning found that all is freezed, so rebooted but after each login, about 20 sec after showing the desktop the screen freezed and then show mce.

I though it is cpu intel 5700, and its compatibility issues. In safe mode all normally worked.

The tried disabling some cpu options like speedstep and other options in the bios like uefi and quick boot, but nothing.

Then downgraded to last build 10240, but nothing.

Then I thought it is something in the startup, so disabled all entries from startup and then selectively re-enabled, and got big surprise when saw how disabling/enabling dropbox lead to all right/freezing consequences.

Unbelievable...

now try to reinstall dropbox last version, and hope it will be all right, since dropbox is essential for my work teams.
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe it's because that dropbox is not compatible with Windows 10. Please contact dropbox support to see if it's full supported on Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 18, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Digging more deeply, I found some files (3 dlls), in a dropbox subfolder, if right-click on them, or try to copy using admin console, resulted in system crash machine check exception.

I tried to disable windows defender and all came to normality, access, copy, dropbox works fine.

So add exception in windows defender for those files and reactivate defender. All is working fine.

I'll send to windows defender support the 3 files for fixing and most of all understanding why a virus check could lead to a very bad consequence like machine check exception. This shouldn't be. It took too much time to find these 3 dlls.

So, it seems that the crash was absolutely not related with dropbox.

It would be interesting investigate what exactly caused the mce.

Friday, December 18, 2015 10:21 AM