TV for more than 20 Minutes? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Dells XPS 420 with an ATI Wonder Digital Cable Tuner.  after fixing Norton to allow the stream.  I can only watch tv for about 20 minutes, then it tells me there is no tuner.  I fiddle with the usb connection, and restart windows media center for another 20 minutes.

Needless to say this sub optimal.

Is there a problem with the set up?  Is the CableCard wrong?  Can I repair the components?  I finally am close to having my solution, but at 20 minute pops.  Its tiring.

Fred 

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

•  zibbie wrote:

I have a Dells XPS 420 with an ATI Wonder Digital Cable Tuner.  after fixing Norton to allow the stream.  I can only watch tv for about 20 minutes, then it tells me there is no tuner.  I fiddle with the usb connection, and restart windows media center for another 20 minutes.

Needless to say this sub optimal.

Is there a problem with the set up?  Is the CableCard wrong?  Can I repair the components?  I finally am close to having my solution, but at 20 minute pops.  Its tiring.

Fred 

It sounds like there may be an issue with the way your power management feature is interracting with the USB Ports. It could be turning them off after 20 minutes thereby causing your problem.

Check your power profile to see what it's set to. If it's set to always on, you can still change the way power management affects your USB Ports by performing the following actions

Open system properties (hold the windows key down and press pause/break)

Open device manager

Go to your usb entry and double-click to show the devices

Double-click each USB Root Hub to see the properties for it

Go to the power management tab and UNcheck the box that allows windows to power it down

Apply for each USB Hub and reboot and try watching for more than 20 minutes

Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:42 PM
  • I dont' think that is the problem.  All the other USB devices don't get shut down.

Thanks for the reply.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  zibbie wrote:

I dont' think that is the problem.  All the other USB devices don't get shut down.

Thanks for the reply.

My Media Center system uses an expansion card instead of a USB device so maybe you simply have a USB TV tuner that gets hot after 20 minutes and shuts itself off until it cools down a bit.

Have you tried using a different USB Port?

Have you tried the unit on a different PC using Vista?

Have you tried it on a Windows XP system?

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:35 PM
  • I'm sorry again, but these answers are just shots in the dark.  It is not USB related.

I have only the one vista PC with Media center, and I don't have access to the XP system.  Nor, would I wish to go backwards.

What about someone who can provide some useful options?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner is a specific product for Windows Vista.

I suggest you plug the product to another known Windows Vista computer to check whether it is a hardware problem.

If not, it is recommended to contact ATI Support to verify related settings.

ATI   USA - Technical Support

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=588

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  zibbie wrote:

I'm sorry again, but these answers are just shots in the dark.  It is not USB related.

I have only the one vista PC with Media center, and I don't have access to the XP system.  Nor, would I wish to go backwards.

What about someone who can provide some useful options?

If you're not willing to attempt even basic trouble-shooting procedures then, by all means, continue to use Media Center for 20 minutes at a time.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:31 PM
  • These were below even basic trouble shooting.  At times, they were insulting.  After repeating to you that its NOT USB because, I've actually done what you suggested, and by your own admission that you don't have the same product, you really can't relate to the issue at hand.  So, your basic trouble shooting, were just shots in the dark.  Amusing at first, but in the end useless.  So, even with this "expert" help, I still can only use it for 20 minutes.  I'm no better off with you attempts.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:38 AM
  •  

Thanks but.... I figured on a Microsoft site, that maybe someone with specific knowledge of this product may have insight.  I guess, I'm an old fashioned person and don't have a stable of computers to try this out on.  Not sure why I would have lots of vista machines hanging around.

ATI has quite possibly the worst customer support ever.  SInce the Equipment came with a Dell computer, just like Microsoft, they are directing me to dell, who can't seem to understand the issue either.

I was hoping that someone who actually wrote the Media Center software might stop by here and give a few more insights.  The replies to date, have been utterly useless.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:41 AM
  •  zibbie wrote:

Thanks but.... I figured on a Microsoft site, that maybe someone with specific knowledge of this product may have insight.  I guess, I'm an old fashioned person and don't have a stable of computers to try this out on.  Not sure why I would have lots of vista machines hanging around.

ATI has quite possibly the worst customer support ever.  SInce the Equipment came with a Dell computer, just like Microsoft, they are directing me to dell, who can't seem to understand the issue either.

I was hoping that someone who actually wrote the Media Center software might stop by here and give a few more insights.  The replies to date, have been utterly useless.

It's so nice to know all the steps you already took to troubleshoot the issue you're experiencing. I can't believe I missed them when I read your first post...oh...waitasecond...they aren't in your first post...or in any others, until you cop an attitude...

Let's just forget about the fact you should know to state in your first post what actions you've already taken so we don't waste "our" time walking you through the baby steps because you failed to be clear...

I'm sure, with you being an expert and all, that you're already well-aware of the fact Microsoft itself wrote the Vista drivers for your ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner, not AMD/ATI, so it would be a completely useless waste of time to contact ATI/AMD for driver assistance in the first place. Of course you knew that already, right?

It's interesting to note that in their review of your tuner, in which they whole-heartedly do not recommend it, AnandTech stated the following:

"Microsoft wrote the driver, CableLabs defined the specification, and a variety of companies own and operate the networks that the hardware will work on. To make things even worse, each and every cable network is slightly different - creating a myriad of potential causes for any one bug."

My suggestion is to contact your cable company to have your cable network and signal strength tested over a 45 minute period to see if cable signal strength is wavering or if a wavering overvoltage condition on the line exists.(as was found on my cable line when I had it tested)

That is, unless you already had that testing performed and just didn't feel the need to share that information with us because you expect us to know about it via some weird form of osmosis...

Then, once your cable company denies the problem is on their end (as they're most likely to do) you can contact Dell again to get a replacement ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner unit. (your initial post is worded in such a way as to make someone think you received the ATI unit with your XPS so it would stand to reason that you can get a replacement unit.)

When all that fails, try uninstalling Norton. I assumed you did that already since you're so technically astute.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:12 PM