Windows Vista x64 - Windows 7 x64 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I obtained a copy of Windows 7 from my friend, Windows 7 X64, and I want to do a clean upgrade to it from Windows Vista Home Premium x64. However when I attempt to upgrade from inside windows, the setup stops at the message "you can't upgrade to windows x64 from windows x86, you can't upgrade from windows x86 to x64" etc, and another message concerning restarting my computer. Why won't this work? I have a lot of documents and programs that I want on my PC and I don't want to have to "easy transfer" all of them from and to my computer, and I do NOT want to reinstall all the applications I have. Any ideas?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:25 PM

Answers

• Hi, It the W7 thinks your Vista is a 32bit not 64bit so thats why it will not upgrade. Because you can not upgrade from 32bit to 64bit only clean install. May I suggested you create another partition and install W7 there instead then use the easy transfer tool. If anything goes wrong at least you can go back to Vista. Back up important data first. Slan go foill, Paul  
    • Proposed as answer by DrX69 Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:46 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:41 PM
  • ...the setup stops at the message "you can't upgrade to windows x64 from windows x86, you can't upgrade from windows x86 to x64" etc, and another message concerning restarting my computer. Why won't this work? ...

Yours is the second such report I've seen on here over the past couple of days.  The error message is indicating that the installer sees your existing install as a 32-bit windows install.

First, verify that you are actually upgrading from a 64-bit windows install.  Boot to desktop in your current install, right-click 'Computer' and choose 'Properties', and in the information window verify that 'System type' reads as 32-bit operating system rather than 32-bit operating system.  It is, of course, possible that you've used a 32-bit install disk by mistake and then erroneously assumed that you had a 64-bit install deployed.

If that checks out, then perhaps there has been a 32-bit windows install on the machine previously? 

It's not uncommon, when different Windows versions have been installed on a rig consecutively, for the boot loader information to become a bit confusing, with boot loader on one drive and installation on a different drive, legacy 'orphanned' entries to be present, etc etc etc.  Perhaps the installer is detecting an entry pertaining to a previous, 32-bit Windows install, and is somehow acting as if you are trying to upgrade that?

If your current installation is indeed a 64-bit windows Home Premium installation, I would suggest that you disconnect all drives other than the one where the Vista Home Premium installation is physically located, ensure that drive is set to be boot drive in BIOS Setup, and then run a startup repair on the install.  That should correct any 'orphanned entry' issues which might be present, if this is indeed the explanation.

Just exercising an educated guess however.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hi, It the W7 thinks your Vista is a 32bit not 64bit so thats why it will not upgrade. Because you can not upgrade from 32bit to 64bit only clean install. May I suggested you create another partition and install W7 there instead then use the easy transfer tool. If anything goes wrong at least you can go back to Vista. Back up important data first. Slan go foill, Paul  
    • Proposed as answer by DrX69 Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:31 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:41 PM
  • ...the setup stops at the message "you can't upgrade to windows x64 from windows x86, you can't upgrade from windows x86 to x64" etc, and another message concerning restarting my computer. Why won't this work? ...

Yours is the second such report I've seen on here over the past couple of days.  The error message is indicating that the installer sees your existing install as a 32-bit windows install.

First, verify that you are actually upgrading from a 64-bit windows install.  Boot to desktop in your current install, right-click 'Computer' and choose 'Properties', and in the information window verify that 'System type' reads as 32-bit operating system rather than 32-bit operating system.  It is, of course, possible that you've used a 32-bit install disk by mistake and then erroneously assumed that you had a 64-bit install deployed.

If that checks out, then perhaps there has been a 32-bit windows install on the machine previously? 

It's not uncommon, when different Windows versions have been installed on a rig consecutively, for the boot loader information to become a bit confusing, with boot loader on one drive and installation on a different drive, legacy 'orphanned' entries to be present, etc etc etc.  Perhaps the installer is detecting an entry pertaining to a previous, 32-bit Windows install, and is somehow acting as if you are trying to upgrade that?

If your current installation is indeed a 64-bit windows Home Premium installation, I would suggest that you disconnect all drives other than the one where the Vista Home Premium installation is physically located, ensure that drive is set to be boot drive in BIOS Setup, and then run a startup repair on the install.  That should correct any 'orphanned entry' issues which might be present, if this is indeed the explanation.

Just exercising an educated guess however.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:35 AM
  • I just received my MSDN Windows 7 Ultimate DVD marked x86/x64.

I have Vista Utlimate 64 installed, verified in properties from my computer and I can SEE all my 8gig of ram and run various 64bit apps (itunes for one!).

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.
    • 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

• Any suggestions other than a clean install on a new partition...

Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:51 PM