none
Help me to understand the FAST Search for Sharepoint's Crawler RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I'm basically an ESP guy and now trying to learn Sharepoint as I've started to work with FS4SP.

In FS4SP we have several connectors like Crawler, JDBC connector etc., that comes along with the installation.

From the Central Admin, one can create Content Sources and crawl Sharepoint sites or fileshares or Web sites. So, this module of the tool which crawlers the Sharepoint sites or the web sites is not the crawler that is within the FAST tool right? I mean, to be lame, when I do a nctrl status I see this crawler module running, this is not the module that crawls the SP sites when I crawl it fromt he Central Admin right?

Apologize if the question is silly.

Much Thanks!!

Freddie Maize ..A story with Glory is History. Doesn’t matter whether Glory rest in the world of Demon or God. Lets create History..

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:22 AM

Answers

• Freddie,

So the "old ESP crawler" is still included on the FAST side, which is why you see it running when you do "nctrl status".  But it really isn't connected to Sharepoint at all, it's really used for Web crawling, just like in ESP.  As you noted, ESP had a different connector for each different source, i.e Connectors, Filetraverser, Crawler, etc.  It is completely unrelated to anything on the Sharepoint side as far as feeding goes.

With Sharepoint(or FS14), most people end up using Sharepoint crawler/gatherer via FAST Content SSA.  So you can create multiple content sources(crawling fileshares, web, Sharepoint sites) via your FAST Content SSA.  Another powerful content source would be a BCS crawl, which you also control from FAST Content SSA.  Here, you can connect to database content, such as SQL Server rows or your custom code.

I'm not sure there are too many people using the old ESP crawler, it does have its advantages if you know how to use it as well as good logging in my opinion, but due to having to do everything manually now without a GUI and a bit of a learning curve for people coming from Sharepoint world, it's probably not best option for most.

Igor Veytskin

• Marked as answer by freddieMaize Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• Freddie,

So the "old ESP crawler" is still included on the FAST side, which is why you see it running when you do "nctrl status".  But it really isn't connected to Sharepoint at all, it's really used for Web crawling, just like in ESP.  As you noted, ESP had a different connector for each different source, i.e Connectors, Filetraverser, Crawler, etc.  It is completely unrelated to anything on the Sharepoint side as far as feeding goes.

With Sharepoint(or FS14), most people end up using Sharepoint crawler/gatherer via FAST Content SSA.  So you can create multiple content sources(crawling fileshares, web, Sharepoint sites) via your FAST Content SSA.  Another powerful content source would be a BCS crawl, which you also control from FAST Content SSA.  Here, you can connect to database content, such as SQL Server rows or your custom code.

I'm not sure there are too many people using the old ESP crawler, it does have its advantages if you know how to use it as well as good logging in my opinion, but due to having to do everything manually now without a GUI and a bit of a learning curve for people coming from Sharepoint world, it's probably not best option for most.

Igor Veytskin

• Marked as answer by freddieMaize Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Hi Igor,

That explains a lot!! Thanks!!

Freddie Maize ..A story with Glory is History. Doesn’t matter whether Glory rest in the world of Demon or God. Lets create History..

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:16 AM