Clock problems RRS feed

• Question

• We have a strange issue on some of our older XP workstations. We have been getting errors in one of our programs because the clock keeps changing. At very random times the time and date will jump months or days back or forth for about an hour and then correct itself. The only way we found this looking through event logs and seeing this big jump in time and then back. I can find no event log indicating a problem with ntp or any other time setting. The BIOS clock is set correctly. Our domain is set to use NTP. All DC's except one are set to get time from the other DC's. The other is set to use time.microsoft.com. I really do not know where to start troubleshooting this without any error or log showing a problem. 
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• The first thing I would do is replace the BIOS battery and see if that doesn't fix it.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:28 PM
  • I thought of that but what makes me think its not the battery is the fact that it is happening on multiple systems and the bios time is correct. If the time in the bios was incorrect I could see that being the issue but when the problem happens where is it getting the really incorrect time from?
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Ah.  Yes I should have read it more carefully.  Multiple PCs on the domain doing this is not a battery.  I don't know much about this type of issue other than to say that I have heard that time.microsoft.com is notoriously bad to sync with and cannot be relied upon.  But it has been a long time (heh) since I read those discussions, maybe it has changed since then.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:27 PM
  • I changed it to time.nist.gov. I will wait and see what happens.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:44 PM
  • Already tried that. Never had the issue until Xp was officially left unsupported. Time(s) keep changing.
    Friday, June 6, 2014 10:29 AM
  • The system clock is not set to the standard time but it has the correct time , so i don't believe the BIOS battery is the problem . pkus this PC isn't much over a year old . 

Monday, January 4, 2016 10:00 PM
  • I'm as little computer illiterate and so mat I ask if anyone could send me some procedures to correct the problem ?

Monday, January 4, 2016 10:14 PM
  • You have computer only a year old that uses XP?.  How did you find the drivers for it?

The original post discussed a problem affecting multiple PCs on a network.  You mention only a single PC.  Do you have the same problem or are you tagging onto a closed thread from 18 months ago because the title sounded close?

Monday, January 4, 2016 11:29 PM