Adding new Primary SMTP address for 1000 users - considerations? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks

I will be changing addresses next week for 1000 people.I have tested the following and they seem to have no issues with the changing email addresses:

1. BES

2. Out of Office

3. Cached Outlook values (If the old address is stored in cache, then it goes out of Exchange and my SMTP server will still accept it as a vaid incoming domain and route to the mailbox).

Can anyone offer any other potential areas\technologies I should consider that could be affected?We are Exchange 2010, use VMWare, SCOM, ISA,

Tom

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I recommend  you to have a look at the article below. If the UPN and SMTP address are different, Autodiscover will fail, we need to install the latest update for outlook.

Outlook Automatic Configuration Fix

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mr_proactive/archive/2011/03/21/outlook-automatic-configuration-fix.aspx

Besides, if you have change the primary smtp address, then I think you may carefully configure the enternal url for OAB, AutoDiscover, Exchange web services. Also we may need to deploy new outlook profile. You can try to use GPO to update the profile.

OOF, MailTips, or Availability (free/busy) cannot be retrieved when Primary SMTP address changes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693800

Qutoe:

The following processed is used by Outlook to update the registry with the SMTP address that is used to retrieve OOF, Availability, and MailTips from Microsoft Exchange.

1. Outlook caches the primary SMTP address in one value of the registry.
    2. A different registry value is used to store the last time the registry value in step 1 was updated with your primary SMTP address.
    3. If the time specified in the registry value from step 2 is 24 hours in the past, then Outlook retrieves your primary SMTP address again from either the online Global Address List (for Online mode profiles) or the OAB (for Cached mode profiles).

Note, because Cached mode profiles retrieve this information from the OAB, the updated SMTP address may not be written into the registry as quickly as for Online mode profiles. This is because an updated OAB may not have been retrieved yet from the server.
    4. Regardless if your SMTP address has changed, Outlook rewrites your SMTP address into the value mentioned in Step 1 above.

NOTE: The exact registry data discussed in these steps is not provided because you cannot manually modify this data to fix the problem.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Friday, July 27, 2012 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:21 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 8:32 AM

All replies

• I cant see anything else you would need to so for Vmware or ISA.  As for SCOM, not sure if this will efftect any test account used for checking services etc..

Sukh

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:03 AM
  • You mean you are changing their SMTP address to a different default reply?

Doe autodiscover still work for external clients?

Does the changed SMTP address match their user principal name? It should at some point. ( SIP/SMTP UPN should match as a best practice)

Changing the UPN means their account logon info will change, so plan that accordingly as this will affect the way they logon to Lync/Active Sync devices, etc...

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Hi chap

No the UPN will remain the same.

Their primary smtp address will change however. 

I did this for myself, and Outlook anywhere (setup by Autodiscover) still seems to work, but within Outlook the mailbox name (the part above the Inbox) still displays as the old Email address, AND within Email Accounts the name still appears as the old email address.

I attempted a maibox repair and for the first 90 mins, it would not complete because I imagine the *old* address could not be found 9I removed it from Exchange, because that is currently how we are intending to implement this thing), but after about 90 mins the mailbox repair feature recognised the new email address and completed a successful *configuration - I got 3 ticks).

HOWEVER, the mailbox names still display with the old email address....will these just change over time?

Tom

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:33 AM
  • Not sure what you mean by a mailbox repair. Does that mean you created a new Outlook profile?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:25 PM
  • >> Not sure what you mean by a mailbox repair

I definitely want to avoid any kind of manual user intervention to get Outlook working. Mailbox repair was my attempt to see if cached Outlook could *find* the new email address. But it's not important.

>> Does that mean you created a new Outlook profile

Definitely no...cant have that happen :-)

I'm trying to figure out how long it will take for Outlook Anywhere via Autodicsover to update all it's settings.  basically, after I changed a users email address, removing the former address for Exchange, when they next logon to Outlook the following dont work:

Out of Office & mailtips

All of ym users are Autodiscover via Outlook Anywhere Outlook clients, and for me persoanly it tooks about 90 minutes for Outlook to start *seeing* the new email address of mine.  weirdly, if i sent an email it would definitely appear as being sent by my new email address, but Outlook still shows lots of references to the old address. i.e. in the displayname, in the FROM box when completing a new email.

There definitely appears to be a timelag for cached Outlook to catchup and allow autodiscover relevant things like OOO and mailtips to work....

Tom

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Im not suprised. In addition to cached Outlook entries, you still have to update the OAB, and there are cached objects in AD/IIS etc...

As far as I know, unless you push out a profile to Outlook via GPO, ORK or 3rd party , you have to create a new Outlook profile to see the changed SMTP address correctly updated in the Outlook folder view.

At some point, you may want to make the UPN and SMTP address match. I would recommend it.

• Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Friday, July 27, 2012 8:21 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend  you to have a look at the article below. If the UPN and SMTP address are different, Autodiscover will fail, we need to install the latest update for outlook.

Outlook Automatic Configuration Fix

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mr_proactive/archive/2011/03/21/outlook-automatic-configuration-fix.aspx

Besides, if you have change the primary smtp address, then I think you may carefully configure the enternal url for OAB, AutoDiscover, Exchange web services. Also we may need to deploy new outlook profile. You can try to use GPO to update the profile.

OOF, MailTips, or Availability (free/busy) cannot be retrieved when Primary SMTP address changes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693800

Qutoe:

The following processed is used by Outlook to update the registry with the SMTP address that is used to retrieve OOF, Availability, and MailTips from Microsoft Exchange.

1. Outlook caches the primary SMTP address in one value of the registry.
    2. A different registry value is used to store the last time the registry value in step 1 was updated with your primary SMTP address.
    3. If the time specified in the registry value from step 2 is 24 hours in the past, then Outlook retrieves your primary SMTP address again from either the online Global Address List (for Online mode profiles) or the OAB (for Cached mode profiles).

Note, because Cached mode profiles retrieve this information from the OAB, the updated SMTP address may not be written into the registry as quickly as for Online mode profiles. This is because an updated OAB may not have been retrieved yet from the server.
    4. Regardless if your SMTP address has changed, Outlook rewrites your SMTP address into the value mentioned in Step 1 above.

NOTE: The exact registry data discussed in these steps is not provided because you cannot manually modify this data to fix the problem.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Friday, July 27, 2012 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:21 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Tom,

did you ever resolve your issue?  I am running into the exact same thing and have to change this for 600+ users.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:39 PM