SCVMM Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to deploy SCVMM on one server, for training and testing purposes (as a part of my homelab). Since it is not a very big environment, it would manage 3 hosts and 5-6 virtual machines at maximum. Would a 4 core Xeon and 8 GB of RAM be sufficient for the SCVMM to work well? I know that those specs are below the minimal requirements, but I suppose those are mentioned for way more dense environments.

I have read that the console can be installed also on Windows 10 Enterprise, so I can move it to another PC (physical machine) that is domain-joined.

And a final question, why SCVMM should not be installed on a top of a Hyper-V server?
    • Edited by Tom1PL Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:41 PM Added one more question
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It should work, since there are so few virtual machines to manage you should be just fine, I have ran it on even lower specs and it has been working out just fine.

It will probably give a warning about low memory but that's OK.

Yes the SCVMM console can be installed on a computer with Windows 10 Enterprise.

It is recommended to have the SCVMM server as a separate server, Hyper-V should always be a role by itself.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Tom1PL Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:54 PM
  • Hello,

1. 4 cores and 8GB RAM is sufficient. In my lab, I only allocate 4GB RAM for SCVMM server. 

2. Yes, the SCVMM console can be installed on the Windows 10 computer. 

3. In production, it's recommended to deploy SCVMM server on a standalone server. For the lab or small environment, you can just deploy the SCVMM in a VM.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It should work, since there are so few virtual machines to manage you should be just fine, I have ran it on even lower specs and it has been working out just fine.

It will probably give a warning about low memory but that's OK.

Yes the SCVMM console can be installed on a computer with Windows 10 Enterprise.

It is recommended to have the SCVMM server as a separate server, Hyper-V should always be a role by itself.

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:54 PM
  • Hello,

1. 4 cores and 8GB RAM is sufficient. In my lab, I only allocate 4GB RAM for SCVMM server. 

2. Yes, the SCVMM console can be installed on the Windows 10 computer. 

3. In production, it's recommended to deploy SCVMM server on a standalone server. For the lab or small environment, you can just deploy the SCVMM in a VM.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:28 AM
  • ok, thanks.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:23 AM
  • You’re welcome! (Please don’t forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:39 AM