none
How to disable Group Policy for testing

Question

• Hello,

I hope I have a simple question, I am running windows 2008R2.  I have a policy that may be giving me a problem, I want to disable the policy for a short time to test and then enable again.  I don't have much experance with Policy so I want to make sure that what I am doing can be undone.

I noticed in Group Policy editor when I am in Group Policy Objects and if I highlight a GP under details there is an option called GPO Status.  In that I can choose to do the following

All Setting disabled

Computer Configuratoin setting disabled

Enabled

User configuration settings disabled

From the above list I believe I can click on All settings Disabled and that will disable the GP and I can test and then I can enable it again.

I also believe that I will need to do a GPupdate /force on my DC and the server in question

this seems the simplest way to check disable the policy test if it fixes the problem then I know that it is a policy issue I can then enable it again and look further into the problem if it does not fix the issue then I know that it may not be a policy issue and something else.  FYI: this is not any of the default policy

If this is correct or incorrect and if there are any other things that I need to know I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Adam Raff

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can disabled the gpo for check the issue(on single Gpo),if this is a user config gpo,you should disable "user configuration settings",or a computer gpo should disable "computer configuration settings"

Also if you needs to disable all gpo's for a OU(from root),you should select "Block inheritance",

Note:Also i always prefer to configure "Group Policy Processing" before applied gpo's on live domain.Check the artilce for Group Policy Processing,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn581922.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Hi

My question on the last option is if I remove the check mark will I be able to enable it again.  Understand that I am just testing to see if a policy is a problem? >>>>Yes,you will enable the "Link Enabled" again,whenever you need.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can disabled the gpo for check the issue(on single Gpo),if this is a user config gpo,you should disable "user configuration settings",or a computer gpo should disable "computer configuration settings"

Also if you needs to disable all gpo's for a OU(from root),you should select "Block inheritance",

Note:Also i always prefer to configure "Group Policy Processing" before applied gpo's on live domain.Check the artilce for Group Policy Processing,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn581922.aspx

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Easiest to 'disable' the complete GPO is to Unlink it.  Right Click and select 'Link Enabled' to remove the check mark.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:22 PM
  • Sorry for the long delay I was trying to review and research this a little so that I have a better understanding on what you were saying.

It appears that ether option will work I can ether disable the policy or click the LInk enabled and remove the check mark.

My question on the last option is if I remove the check mark will I be able to enable it again.  Understand that I am just testing to see if a policy is a problem?

Thanks

Adam

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Hi

My question on the last option is if I remove the check mark will I be able to enable it again.  Understand that I am just testing to see if a policy is a problem? >>>>Yes,you will enable the "Link Enabled" again,whenever you need.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:00 PM
  • thanks everyone for your help and support

Adam Raff

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:06 PM