none
Strange results from Private Cloud Fast Track Consolidation RRS feed

• Question

• I've done a lot of work with the MAP toolkit and I'm quite familiar with it, in general, but I can't figure this issue out.

I gathered a week of performance data from 90 SQL servers I'd like to P2V and/or just move to a dedicated infrastructure. The issue I'm having is that the Private Cloud Fast Track Consolidation Report always fails to place four of the servers. The report's "Reason Could Not Be Placed in Base" (or Max) column always just says "Memory utilization of guest exceeds available memory on host." 

The thing is, it doesn't. The PerfMetricsResultsView table in the MAP DB shows that the four servers not getting placed have the largest RAM use of the whole lot, but the "MemoryUtil" field only ranges from 75 to 114 GB for those four servers. VMs that need 68 GB or less all get placed. I've made configurations with 768gb, 1.5tb, or 4tb per host, and I've verified the correct config is being applied... but I get the same result no matter which config I use.

Does anyone know why this is happening or have any suggestions about how to address it? 

Friday, May 6, 2016 8:31 PM

All replies

• Update: I believe I figured out why this error is really happening. The MAP toolkit is set to simulate Hyper-V 2008r2 limitations. One limitation is 64gb max RAM per VM. 

Is this something that can be changed? I don't see any setting to switch to 2012r2 or 2012 Hyper-V. I can easily change the hypervisor version for the Server Consolidation Wizard, but not for the Private Cloud Fast Track Wizard. If one can be changed, surely the other can, too?

• Edited by jpizzl Monday, May 9, 2016 6:34 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 6:23 PM