none
Error when selecting Save As RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Microsoft Project Standard 2003 and when I select Save As and select the file name to save it to I get the following error:-

An unexpected error has occurred during command execution. 

Try the following:

Verify that all argument names and values are correct and are of the correct type.

You may have run out of memory. To free up available memory, close programs, projects, or windows that you aren't using.

I get this on any mpp file - even a new blank one.

I have recently had Microsoft Project Professional 2010 installed on my PC and have been using both versions on different mpp files with no problems.  I haven't opened the mpp file that I first got the problem with in MSP10, I have only been using MSP10 on test projects.

Has anyone got any idea what the error message means and how to get round it?

Thanks,

Hilary

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:58 AM

Answers

• Reinstall or repair the Project Professional 2003 on your workstation.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:29 AM
  • No worries, Hilary.  A complete re-install may not be required.  Try a repair first.  If you re-install 2003 you will likely have to re-install 2010 too.

Julie

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Hilary,

It sounds from your description that you are attempting to save a file with the name of another file?  What happens if you save and type a file name? 

Julie

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hi Julie,

That's what I was trying to do - Save As and put the file name in to save, select Save and then I get the error.

Hilary

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Are you typing a new name or the name of another file?  What name are you attempting to use?  Is this on a network drive or are you saving locally?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Reinstall or repair the Project Professional 2003 on your workstation.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:29 AM
  • I am typing a new name and I am saving locally
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Hilary,

Is the problem occurring in Project 2010 or Project 2003?  You note: and have been using both versions on different mpp files with no problems.  So it was working but now is not?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:53 PM
  • The problem is occuring on Project 2003.  It was working, but it is now not working - since coming back to work in the New Year.  Project 2010 works OK.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi Hilary,

If it was working and now is not, was there any new software installed just before it quit working correctly?  You might try Micheal's suggestion and attempt a repair on Project 2003.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Sorry for late reply, I did in fact reply on Friday, but it doesn't seem to have taken it.

I don't think I have had any software installed - although our IT dept do install things remotely, so can't say for sure.  I think I will try yours and Micheal's suggestion and get IT to re-install Project 2003.

Thanks for all your help

Hilary

Monday, January 14, 2013 2:51 PM
  • No worries, Hilary.  A complete re-install may not be required.  Try a repair first.  If you re-install 2003 you will likely have to re-install 2010 too.

Julie

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:36 PM
  • I've just repaired it and it now works!

Thanks for all your help

Hilary

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Superb and great to hear.  Thanks for sharing the resolution that worked.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:16 PM