none
What is Expiry Tolerance RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone explain difference between retention range and expiry tolerance? I have 2 long term recovery goals,

1. Weekly backup expire after 4 weeks.

2. Monthly backup expire after 3 months.

Now what role expiry tolerance parameter does play here..!! and what should be the right value of this.

Honestly, I dont have idea about expiry tolerance, so i have set Tapewriteperiod to 1 month and expiry tolerance to 5 years because i have been asked to set retention 5 years. (this is co located PG)

I am going to change recovery goal 2, from 3 months to 5 years retention. So where should I made changes? on expiry tolerance or retention range?.

one more thing I want to mark tapes 'offsite ready' when they full written. As there is not percentage ratio option available in DPM 2012, what would be the 'tapewriteperiod' value for 3 months or 5 years retention to full utilize these tapes.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Retention range is how long a recovery point on tape is kept before it is marked as expired.

The write period is the length of time for which a tape is available for writing new backups. The tape is marked as Offsite Ready after this.

• The expiration tolerance is the maximum length of time for which an expired recovery point can remain on a tape until the tape is marked as expired.

This page should help you understand those parameters better.

Colocate data from different protection groups on tape
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628040.aspx

FYI - Some of the information is obsolete.

1) The whole section "Enable colocation on tape" is no longer applicable in DPM 2012 and later I will have that removed.
    2) This section titled "Create a protection group"  - should be renamed to say "Managing protection group sets"

• Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:55 PM