none
Project Pro 2016 and Project Pro for Office 365 - what's the difference and more besides RRS feed

• Question

• I recently encountered a situation where someone could not edit Enterprise Resources (see previous forum question) this was resolved by uninstalling Project Professional 2016 and replacing it with Project Professional for Office 365.

This week I tried to resolve the "unsupported server" issue I had encountered after reading a Blog by Tom Henry -  intriguingly re-installing Project from within Office 365 I appear to have Project Professional 2016 NOT Project Professional for Office 365 - the install page in Office 365 states Install Project 2016 (Recommended).                                                                             

Has there been a change made by Microsoft recently to the effect that Project Professional for Office 365 is no longer available? Also are there any differences between Project Professional 2016 and Project Professional for Office 365?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

• Edited by Dominic Moss Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:28 PM format
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:28 PM

All replies

• An update in case anyone is interested.

Working with a new customer they issued me with a laptop which had Project Pro 2016 installed.

I was able to access projects in Project Online using the Project Web App Account in Project Pro 2016 however I was unable to Edit Enterprise Calendars even though I am a member of the Administrators group, I was also unable to edit Enterprise Resource information using the "Open" button in the Resource Centre and could not open projects from the Project Centre using either the "Open" option from the ribbon or the icon indicating that the project is an Enterprise Project.

Replacing Project Pro 2016 with Project Pro for Office 365 resolved these issues but provoked problems with Outlook and Skype - apparently Office applications installed from media cannot peacefully co-exist with Office applications downloaded from Office 365. IT Support at my customer are investigating this feature. 

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:28 AM