Design Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm currently working on a sccm 2012 design for the place I work at and just wanted to run the design past the experts.  We have 2000 pc's all located in the same building, we have two DC's connected with a 1GB link.  My thinking behind the design is 1 primary site and then 2 DP's one at each DC location these would have roles that can be configured for HA installed.   The primary site server will be running on Hyper-V and replicated to the second DC so in the event of a problem at DC1 I could bring the replicated server up? 

The one thing I'm undecided on is the SQL configuration.  I have the option of using a SQL cluster and the DBA has no issue with the site server being a local admin, the other option is to install the SQL server locally.  I appreciate that SCCM is not designed for HA but it's something that my boss would like.  What would the experts recommend in this situation?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would go for a local SQL on the Primary Site server, you still have a HA challenge there which is best handled using a Hyper-V cluster. It is much easier to troubleshoot with a local SQL and with the number of client 2'000 is no problem for a local sql.

A DP in each DC makes sense as well.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:30 PM
  • 2 DP seems a good option as you could balance clients between them.

When a DP is failing then you could assign clients to the other one.

For the VM replication, it could be a good option to get some kind of disaster recovery.

Everyone here will advise to keep SQL local especially for this number of client that is really low.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:28 PM

All replies

• 2 DP seems a good option as you could balance clients between them.

When a DP is failing then you could assign clients to the other one.

For the VM replication, it could be a good option to get some kind of disaster recovery.

Everyone here will advise to keep SQL local especially for this number of client that is really low.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

I would go for a local SQL on the Primary Site server, you still have a HA challenge there which is best handled using a Hyper-V cluster. It is much easier to troubleshoot with a local SQL and with the number of client 2'000 is no problem for a local sql.

A DP in each DC makes sense as well.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:30 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  The primary site will be hosted on a hyper-v cluster so it looks like I'm in a good place with the design.
    Friday, February 7, 2014 4:53 PM