none
USB Drivers... RRS feed

• Question

• I have around 175 public use machines out in the field, a hodge-podge of various IBM and Dell systems running XP with service pack 3 and the latest updates. I am trying to roll out an updated Disk Image with MS Steady State 2.5 and some other updates and enhancements to these machines. They are in various remote locations, not attached to our corporate network (and we don't want them to be) but available for remote maintenance over the internet. Since they are on disparate platforms we need to run sysprep on the images (prior to Steady State install) so they are at least somewhat platform independent. I am then having them reboot to UBCD for Windows (on a USB flash drive with VNC/Ghost etc.) and rebuilding remotely from the syspreped image on the drive.

The problem I am running into is that sysprep is stripping out the USB drivers, so clients cannot read their USB mass storage devices after the build. I thought I had this solved, by having them leave the USB device in the system and updating the drivers via device manager and Windows Update (I was then able to read my USB drive as well as a few other USB mass storage devices). But I am starting to get complaints that not all USB mass storage devices are being read. It is my understanding that this should be built into Windows. USBSTOR.sys is present and the correct values are showing in the registry... "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR­ start value is 3". What am I missing here? Again, I know that Steady State needs to be installed after the syspreped image is applyed. Has anyone run into this before, or have any ideas as to the cause?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi cktuba, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general sysprep related issue. I suggest you post it to the following Setup Deployment forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Also, for your information, I'd like to include the following articles regarding the issue:

Troubleshooting Driver Selection and Installation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2006.05.utilityspotlight.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744512(WS.10).aspx

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Thanks Sean, I will take a look at the articles you forwarded and post over in the winserversetup forum.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Just perform a web search for sysprep driver scanner and you will find the answer. A driver enumerator that will collect all of the drivers stuff them into a folder and write the location to the registry. You will need to run this before sysprep. Then after you bring the system back up plug and play will look to this folder to load drivers. You will obviously need to load drivers that are specific to different machine types manually, but Windows will now be able to utilize the built in USB drivers.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:56 PM