System Center 2012 - Service Manager or Spiceworks better help desk solution? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are making a decision whether to implement System Center 2012 - Service Manager or Spiceworks as a Helpdesk solution.  Can someone please provide a quick list of pros and cons of each to get us started and assist in our decision making.

Background:
    We are a 160 staff organization located at 5 sites.  We have two IS staff to manage and are a not for profit.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi, I imagine this topic may generate a fair bit of discussion!

I think ease of configuration and ease of support would be 2 criteria against which you would evaluate potential tools, and on that basis I would select Spiceworks, which ostensibly appears to be a good fit for the size of your organisation.  Considerable effort is required to configure Service Manager, whereas it sounds like Spiceworks can be configured relatively easily.

I would also consider investigating hosted (SaaS) solutions, which again would suit your organisation type.

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:11 AM
  • Agree with WarrenSpier.

Very loaded question to answer.

We have been running Service Manager for over 2 years, first 2010 and now 2012.

Straight forward to install.

You will spend some time customizing it to suit your environment, it is XML and MP based allowing it to be heavily customized to suit your needs.

Perhaps you can point down some specifics as you what you want and we can provide some insight :)

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:48 AM