SharePoint Online sync permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm have a feeling that there is a permission failure in SharePoint Online! At least haven't I found a solution for my discover, so please help me!

First of all, my goal is to set a permission to user TEST so it is possible for TEST to see and read some of the documents in a specific document library.
    I manage that through sharing those specific documents but hare is the problem.

The user TEST can, with using the synchronization function, sync all the documents in the library, even these TEST don't have permission to see.
    If I disable the function of synchronization for the site, those how has access to sync the documents are enable to do that, witch not is the goal they should still have the possibility to sync.

The permissions the user TEST have is 'Open' and 'View pages'. What I can understand is that are the permission Open how makes it possible to sync the documents, right?

So, how to do, to set a specific sync block for a group or user?

Regards
    Kalle

Thursday, July 2, 2015 11:09 AM

Answers

• I have now found the basics for the problem.
    I was logged in on the computer with an user with higher permissions witch give OneDrive access to sync. So if I was logged in as the user TEST  on the computer, then the synchronization was blocked.

Tanks anyway.

Friday, July 3, 2015 7:41 AM

All replies

• This step is not confirmed but you can try.

- duplicate new View Permission level and uncheck Use Remote Interfaces  & Use Client Integration Features. Then try syncing ODB for the user.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:54 PM
  • The 'Open' permission means that they have read only access to all files/folders, unless that folder/file has had it's permissions reduced.

If a user doesn't have rights to some documents then they shouldn't see them or be able to open them. If they can see them then you've got a configuration issue.

What permissions does your test user have on the site and please describe what you have done in terms of inheriting permissions for the library and files.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:57 PM
  • @Sharepointalltheway

I try your tip but it didn't work.. Thanks anyway

@Alex Brassington

I have set permission only to the Open option in the highest parent level for my group NEW with the user TEST inside and inheriting it directly to the document library.
    When I have it this way the user don't get access to anything on the site.
    When I share one document with the user TEST from the library with the sharing permission to "Can View". Under the "View option" I don't get any possibilities for change.

With this set TEST can se the specific document but nothing else. But TEST can sync all of the content in the library to the local computer through OneDrive.
    Even if I in the permissions for Reader only set Open as option I can get to the document library to sync all the documents in it. Of curse the document library seems empty in SharePoint but getting access to the sync function.

I don't know if it was that information you ask for?

Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:09 PM
  • I have now found the basics for the problem.
    I was logged in on the computer with an user with higher permissions witch give OneDrive access to sync. So if I was logged in as the user TEST  on the computer, then the synchronization was blocked.

Tanks anyway.

Friday, July 3, 2015 7:41 AM