none
MDT 2012 measuring amount and deployment time RRS feed

• Question

• I'm on beginning of MDT's Adventure. For our Client we have to prepare in a monthly basis image load reports that contain amount of images deployed in requested period of time with information how many each OS installation took time. If it's possible to collect those information from MDT 2012/WDS logs and if it is possible to automation of preparation image load report process.

• Edited by pmj88 Monday, September 1, 2014 12:42 PM
    Monday, September 1, 2014 11:39 AM

Answers

• You could always do a .count of your logging directory on the MDT DS.  The other option would be a Powershell script that runs at the end of the deployment.  It could be something as simple as --

#TS Variables
    $tsenv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment 
    $scriptroot = $tsenv.Value("Scriptroot")

#Machine Log Path
    $machineLog = machinelog.txt

#WMI Variables
    $os = get-wmiobject win32_operatingsystem
    $computer = get-wmiboject win32_computersystem

#VALIDATE MACHINE LOG EXISTS.
    if (!(test-path $scriptroot\$machinelog)){
    new-item -path $scriptroot\$machinelog}

#ADD CONTENT TO MACHINE LOG.
    add-content -path $scriptroot\$machinelog -value "Machine built - $(Get-Date) - Machine Name : $computer.name OS : $os.version"

#DONE
    exit 0

This is really basic but you get the idea.  Have it shoot data to a file.  Usually you would want this into an xls file, but that takes a bit more work.  I take no responsibility for this script and it has not been tested, it's more to give you the idea of the construct for what you would need.  Good luck.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:33 PM

All replies

• You could always do a .count of your logging directory on the MDT DS.  The other option would be a Powershell script that runs at the end of the deployment.  It could be something as simple as --

#TS Variables
    $tsenv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment 
    $scriptroot = $tsenv.Value("Scriptroot")

#Machine Log Path
    $machineLog = machinelog.txt

#WMI Variables
    $os = get-wmiobject win32_operatingsystem
    $computer = get-wmiboject win32_computersystem

#VALIDATE MACHINE LOG EXISTS.
    if (!(test-path $scriptroot\$machinelog)){
    new-item -path $scriptroot\$machinelog}

#ADD CONTENT TO MACHINE LOG.
    add-content -path $scriptroot\$machinelog -value "Machine built - $(Get-Date) - Machine Name : $computer.name OS : $os.version"

#DONE
    exit 0

This is really basic but you get the idea.  Have it shoot data to a file.  Usually you would want this into an xls file, but that takes a bit more work.  I take no responsibility for this script and it has not been tested, it's more to give you the idea of the construct for what you would need.  Good luck.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:33 PM
  • If you are using LiteTouch, I would recommend creating a network share on a server, and set the property SLShare in your customsettings.ini file.

SLShare=\\server\share$\folder\...

That will allow you to collect most of the logs, including the bdd.log file. I have a blog post illustrating how to measure time in the bdd.log file: http://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/mdt-performance-microsoft-time/

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 4:53 PM