none
DPM 2010 bug? Get-Datasource returns incorrect information RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing DPM 2010 on a 2008 R2 server. I am experiencing a problem with the Get-Datasource command.  To reproduce, open a DPM Shell and run the following (on one line):

Get-Datasource $env:COMPUTERNAME | Where-Object { $_.Protected } | Select-Object LatestRecoveryPoint, TotalRecoveryPoints | Format-List

The first time it is ran, I get results like this:

LatestRecoveryPoint : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
    TotalRecoveryPoints : 0

If I run the command again, correct results are returned:

LatestRecoveryPoint : 7/20/2010 6:04:08 PM
    TotalRecoveryPoints : 2

If you close/reopen the DPM Shell or run the Disconnect-DPMServer command, the problem will repeat.

This did not happen with DPM 2007.  I have reformatted the server and rebuilt it only to experience the same results.

Thoughts?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Anyone able to reproduce the bug?
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:27 PM
  • You're kidding.  So you do not think this is a bug?  DPM 2007 did not behave this way.  It causes serious problems for our automation scripts that monitor DPM.

If it takes time to get the data, the results should NOT be returned until the data is gathered.  As it stands, wrong information is returned.

This really has to be considered a bug.  How can we submit this information to the DPM product team so that the behavior can be fixed?

By the way, I reproduced the problem in a fresh VM environment.

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:32 PM
  • I have not checked it out ... but looking at the problem thats what i could infer ... if this was not the case in 2007, then may be I am wrong and it could be because of some other reason. Let me check it out ... 

Thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Thanks Parag, I appreciate you looking into this further.  Please keep me posted.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Has this problem been reported to the DPM team? Were they able to replicate it?

Anyone reading...please see if you can replicate the problem using the above powershell commands.  I would appreciate it!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Hi Rod, 

We have opened a bug tracking this problem. Thanks for bringing this up with us. We will get back to you as soon as we have a workaround.

thanks,

Parag

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Same problem. Is there any solution or workaround?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Only thing that i can propose right now, is to re-run the Command 2 times in succession. I know this is not a clean solution but should get you unblocked. 

thanks,

Parag Agrawal

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

Any news here? I have the same problem.

When I run the following command:

Get-Datasource -protectionGroup $pg | where  {$_.Name.EndsWith($VMToRestore) -and $_.Type.Name -eq "Hyper-V" -and $_.Name -notcontains "Initial Store" }

It returns:

Computer              : Server7
    Name                  : \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\Server20
    Type                  : Microsoft Hyper-V
    Latest recovery point : -
    Oldest recovery point : -
    Total recovery points : 0
    Disk allocation       : Replica volume: 43.19 GB allocated, 28.85 GB used | Rec
                            overy point volume: 14.44 GB allocated, 6.06 GB used

If I run the command again it SOMETIMES reply with the correct info:

Computer              : Server7
    Name                  : \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\Server20
    Type                  : Microsoft Hyper-V
    Latest recovery point : 10/9/2010 9:33:17 PM
    Oldest recovery point : 10/2/2010 9:22:22 PM
    Total recovery points : 2
    Disk allocation       : Replica volume: 43.19 GB allocated, 28.85 GB used | Rec
                            overy point volume: 14.44 GB allocated, 6.06 GB used

But it is not everytime a second command execution will return the correct info.

Thomas Forsmark Soerensen
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:50 AM
  • here is your answer;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/09/11/why-good-scripts-may-start-to-fail-on-you-for-instance-with-timestamps-like-01-01-0001-00-00-00.aspx 

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:26 PM