none
IE11 - Change Compatibility View Settings in Registry RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I'm trying to set up a desktop when any user opens IE11, both check marks would be enabled and set to compatibility mode.  Is there a way I can modify the registry file to ensure that the check marks are there?

Thank you,

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After reading your state, I consider it is a little difficult to set compatibility mode via registry. I suggest you can use group policy to meet the requirement.

Please type “gpedit.msc” in search box and enter. Then click Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Compatibility View. You can enable “Use Policy List of Windows Internet Explorer 7 sites” and then add the sites into the list.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn321457.aspx

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:22 AM

All replies

• I meant to say when any users logs in to the computer their IE 11 settings will stay in compatibility mode. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you,

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

After reading your state, I consider it is a little difficult to set compatibility mode via registry. I suggest you can use group policy to meet the requirement.

Please type “gpedit.msc” in search box and enter. Then click Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Compatibility View. You can enable “Use Policy List of Windows Internet Explorer 7 sites” and then add the sites into the list.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn321457.aspx

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:22 AM
  • Unfortunately this policy does not work as stated or presented. I have attempted this myself and the results do not present themselves within the Compatibility View Settings website list of a users browser.

One way to confirm is to launch IE then navigate to the site you want to have in compatibility mode then press F12 in order to bring up the developer tool bar which can show you if the browser is currently set to compatibility mode for this site. Use the Emulation tab to see the current settings for the current page.

However when setting the website manually on a users browser and doing the above you will see the Console tab showing that the site is running in compatibility mode however when manually removed and using the policy its not showing the compatibility set even though policy results show this policy applied.

I have found one other article that supposedly is the hard registry setting for group policy however this too is incomplete as all the keys are not present when using Server 2012 R2 and IE 11.

If anyone has made any progress on this I would entreating reviewing as I'm in need of removing this manual configuration on every users computer within our organization.

Thanks greatly in advance.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Unfortunately this policy does not work as stated or presented. I have attempted this myself and the results do not present themselves within the Compatibility View Settings website list of a users browser.

It is a long-known issue, that when using the policy settings method, the UI does not reflect the correct detail. This is discussed, and an alternative approach presented (use GPP-Registry) in this linked blog post by the IE developer team:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asiatech/2013/10/22/how-to-add-web-site-to-compatibility-view-list-via-gpo/

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Or, consider the use of Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer (EMIE), which can often deliver a much better outcome.

In certain corner-cases, it may be necessary to combine EMIE+CV (if you have a particularly awful browser-apps to cater for  :(

That is discussed in Chris Jacksons blog in deep detail

(you may need to wander through several of his intense posts :)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/cjacks/2014/12/31/can-the-ie-enterprise-mode-site-list-replace-compatibility-view/

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:58 AM