none
Firewall Policy Creation

Question

• I need to create a new GPO in Active Directory to deploy the firewall policies for client systems.

By default under Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

I do not see any rules. So if I start defining the new rules, is it going to merge the rules with the existing client firewall rules?

Means, whatever new rules I define under GPO + the existing firewall rules on the client will take effect together?

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi

If you have already configured firewall setting under the older “Windows Firewall” section these policy rule will also apply,these two rule sets will be merge.
     But if you create a new rule same as already set on clients,the new rule modify the existing one..

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by avilt Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi

You should create new rules.(inbound&outbound)Check the articles about

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753295(v=ws.10).aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2013/01/31/deployment-windows-firewall-and-group-policy.aspx

If you create new rule it will add on clients,if you modify an existing rule,it will modify the rule on clients.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:14 AM
  • So the rules defined/created on the client machine will not be removed?

Example: I have a client system with firewall enabled with several locally defined rules (no GPO policy)

Now when I start defining a new GPO with firewall rules, the new rules will be appended to the client by retaining the existing client defined rules?

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:03 AM
  • Hi

If you have already configured firewall setting under the older “Windows Firewall” section these policy rule will also apply,these two rule sets will be merge.
     But if you create a new rule same as already set on clients,the new rule modify the existing one..

• Marked as answer by avilt Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:19 AM