WSUS on windows 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have WSUS in our Windows 2008 R2 server installed and i have configured only for downloading updates for Windows 7 client systems.

I have add one system for trial to update.

So for wsus not downloading any updates from Microsoft.

I am not clear about auto approval.

Please explain about that, also how to configure WSUS to download the updates.

Thanks

Krishna

Monday, September 10, 2018 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Krishna,

Glad to help.

This is the workflow for patching the system with WSUS.

After installing WSUS and pointing the client to WSUS, WSUS needs to synchronize with Microsoft to get the updates metadata. These updates will be displayed in the WSUS console and the client will report their status to WSUS (whether an update is required). You then need to manually or automatically approve the updates required for the computer group. Then the approved updates will be downloaded to the WSUS server and transferred to the client and installed on the client.

Now, it would be helpful if you could provide more details about your issue. Could the updates be downloaded after approval? Can you get some error messages from WSUS or IIS or softwaredistribution.log? Do you check the free spaces on your WSUS server?

If you want to learn more about automatic approval rules, please see the following article: Https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/3-approve-and-deploy-updates-in-wsus

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Rays

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:47 AM