none
How to install SQL 2008 with SP1 and DPM 2010 on a domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing DPM 2010 on a virtualization server host. Things have slowly come together and I will post some more details in my threads when I finally get there.

The next step is disaster recovery. I hope to solve the chicken and egg problem of the DPM host belonging to a VM DC by keeping an extra copy of the DC around in a backup outside of DPM. However, I also believe it essential to be able to recover from a single tape if that extra copy of the DC is ever lost or screws up or simply becomes available in an emergency.

The plan is to have a recovery hard drive available that I can load the host or its replacement with quickly, promote it to a DC, then install DPM to retrieve the tape contents as foreign tapes, then restore the entire server and VMs.

When installing DPM on a virgin host, one gets the standard message that the machine has to belong to a domain. So I create the domain on the host, but DPM complains that in this mode, SQL with SP1 has to be installed first. So I have tried two ways, installing SQL then promoting the machine to a domain, and promoting the machine to a domain then installing SQL.

In both cases, there are problems creating the required accounts. Apparently, local service accounts are required but I don't see how to create or modify them, if they even exist on a W2K8-R2 machine that has been promoted as a DC. It was sugggested to me to install SQL first and set it up using local accounts, then promote the machine to a domain (Still don't see local accounts anywhere).

Another problem is the confusion with SQL instance names and instance IDs and which names should be used. It also looks to me like the documentation in Technet is suggesting that default SQL instances should be created but I do not need a default instance (as far as I know) since I am only using SQL for DPM.

Does anyone know where I can find the exact install sequence with unambiguous account names and instance names and ids for this scenario? Seems like it should be simple, but this is DPM I guess,

Thanks,
    Bob.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:27 AM

All replies

• See my comment under "Fun Note" in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399416.aspx.

Restoring an entire standalone Virtualization Server IS possible using Plan "B". Assuming a total destruction scenario with only a single tape left standing:

1. Install W2K8-R2 on the repaired/replacement server.
    2. Create a VM and promote it to a "fake" DC.
    3. Join the fake DC.
    4. Install DPM.
    5. Restore the real DC from tape.
    6. Either re-install W2K8 (works) or remove membership (haven't tried yet).
    7. Start real VM-DC, join, install DPM.
    8. Restore everything else from tape.

Note: Careful planning of disk space and which drives will be used for what is critical.

Issues:

1. Only the ENTIRE VM can be restored, not selected VHDs.
    2. WSB restoration (if you have a pre-planned emergency restore setup) will wipe your entire recovery drive.
    3. If your VHDs are not stored in the default C:\ drive partition, their memory state is not restored, so the machine is restored in a crashed state unless you are able to reinstall their symbolic links. (Haven't tried this with the VHDs in their default folder because I wouldn't ever store them there.)

Comment:

DPM2010 is not designed for this. Most of the blogs are written to explain how to backup - that's the easy part (yep - believe it). Not enough good, comprehensive material is there on full disaster recovery and recovery steps and the pre-planning required for it. Its up to us to figure that all out through time consuming experimentation. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any reason why Microsoft could not add better automatic recovery of VMs from tape. Really surprised. Was hoping this part was more polished. And if there is a simple solution (Someone please feel free to post) it wasn't obvious enough in the setups and restores.

What's Needed:

In real world situations with customers needing to economize and reduce servers to single units (lower cost, way better performance, but no redundancy), a Virtualization Server using standard Microsoft DC, SQL, Exchange, and RDP VMs with backup to tape, techs need to be able to restore any partition, any file, any VHD from the Storage Pool OR Tape, for all sorts of reasons. There very well may be a reason to make restoration of a C-Drive and the chicken-or-egg DC difficult for security, but since its possible, there really isn't any point. Why not make DPM installable WITHOUT a DC? After all, that's exactly what I did here by using a fake DC to restore a domain's protected data. And we need to be able to do this. The restriction on domain membership should be moved to the backup side of things within DPM. There are other ways to code things for security. Making the tech's like difficult is, I suggest, not a good one. IMHO, it reeks of field inexperience by DPM designers.

DPM should be able to be installed quickly, used easily, and trusted always, as a standard Microsoft utility, just like NTBackup, which was always just there, and always worked (well, within limitations).

Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:09 PM