none
MDT (ver. 6.3.8443.1000) CustomSettings.ini Task Sequence Issues RRS feed

  • Question

  • I work for a school and have three different position roles (staff, faculty, and students) that have separate requirements as far as computer naming conventions and required programs go. I have created three different task sequences in the Deployment Workbench and have been editing the customsettings.ini file over and over to try to set each of the task sequences with their specific requirements to make the imaging process (Windows Server 2012 R2) a little more automated. 

    I have been reading through forum posts and guides, but find that I can't seem to get anything other than the naming conventions for students to work. Here is what I have for code (Please note that I have removed information below. I have also modified the computer names for security reasons. The actual computer names do fall under 15 character limit. I have tried several difference configurations and including one where the priority was just set to TaskSequenceID and at the end of each task sequence I had the line Subsection=Default, but that didn't work). What would be best to change?:

    [Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

    [Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=NO
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES 
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipUserData=YES 

    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    SkipSummary=YES


    UserLocale=en-US
    SystemLocale=en-US
    UILanguage=en-US
    KeyboardLocale=en-US

    TimeZoneName=[Removed]
    TimeZone=[Removed]

    SkipApplications=No


    JoinDomain=[removed]
    DomainAdmin=[removed]
    DomainAdminDomain=[removed]
    DomainAdminPassword=[removed]
    Skip
    VRefresh=60
    XResolution=1366
    YResolution=768

    WSUSServer=[remove]


    '---------TaskSequenceID Students----------------------------------------------------
    [Students]

    SkipComputerName=NO

    OSDComputername=School-STUDENTS-#Right("%SerialNumber%",5)#

    SkipApplications=No
    MandatoryApplications001={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications002={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications003={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications004={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications005={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications006={[removed]}



    '---------TaskSequenceID Staff----------------------------------------------------
    [Staff]
    SkipComputerName=NO

    OSDComputername=School-STAFF-#Right("%SerialNumber%",5)#

    SkipApplications=No
    MandatoryApplications007={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications008={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications009={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications010={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications011={[removed]}

    '---------TaskSequenceID Faculty----------------------------------------------------
    [Faculty]

    SkipComputerName=NO
    OSDComputername=School-FACULTY-#Right("%SerialNumber%",5)#

    SkipApplications=No
    MandatoryApplications012={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications013={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications014={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications015={[removed]}
    MandatoryApplications016={[removed]}

    Thank you in advance! I am still a little new to configuring and setting up this. Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide. Some of the configurations that I tried would set the computer name all to the student naming conventions instead of the others. Other ones I tried, it would ignore my domain settings unless I made sure to set the priority to both TaskSequenceID and Default.

     I have looked at my MDT and have version 6.3.8443.1000. I have read that that version of MDT has issues with TS.

    I have made a change to the ZTIUtility.vbs script in the \Scripts folder by following the steps listed, but still cannot get TS to be recognized.

    Per the resolution:

    Look for this line:

    If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS']") is nothing) then

    And change it to:

    If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) then

    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:09 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    send the log file\Screenshots of error message which you're getting during installation of OS. Make sure your computer name should contain below 15 characters.

    The modification which you did inside ZTIUtility.vbs only works if you're getting Invalid Deployment Type Error.

    Thanks!! 

    Friday, December 8, 2017 6:41 AM