Access Denied error when trying to add a driver to a x64 wim with DISM RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to add a driver to a x64 Windows 7 wim that I captured yesterday.  I have followed the instructions posted on technet (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744355(WS.10).aspx#AddDriverDISM) and I am getting an access denied error in dism.  I am running dism as an administrator on the local machine that I am mounting the image on.  Apparently, I do not have permissions to add dthe driver to the wim, but I am running dism as an administrator.  Anyone have any ideas what's causing this?  Thanks,

Paul Beck

Friday, April 1, 2011 11:25 PM

Answers

• OK, I got it to work.  I had to take ownership of the filerepository folder in the mounted wim.  Once I owned it, i assigned local administrators Modify access to it.  I also changed permissions on its parent folder DriverStore.  Why doesn't MSFT add a note to its documentation regarding this?  More importantly, why do I have to manually edit the permissions just to add a driver?  I unmounted the wim with the /commit switch.  That reported an error as well.  Then I did an unmount with the discard switch and it succeeded.  I hope the drivers are stil in there.  I will post here with results.
    • Marked as answer by PGI_PBeck Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:38 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:14 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the permissions on the mounted Wim? Do you have permission on the mounted files?

Thanks

Twitter: paul__iddon..... Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Dont forget to vote on if you find the answer helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Any advice given in these forums should be tested in a non production environment before implementing.
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:59 AM
  • OK, I got it to work.  I had to take ownership of the filerepository folder in the mounted wim.  Once I owned it, i assigned local administrators Modify access to it.  I also changed permissions on its parent folder DriverStore.  Why doesn't MSFT add a note to its documentation regarding this?  More importantly, why do I have to manually edit the permissions just to add a driver?  I unmounted the wim with the /commit switch.  That reported an error as well.  Then I did an unmount with the discard switch and it succeeded.  I hope the drivers are stil in there.  I will post here with results.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Quick follow up.  I uploaded my wim to WDS and deployed it with the new drivers successfully.  Problem solved.
    • Unmarked as answer by PGI_PBeck Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:38 PM
  • So it  was a permissions issue?
    Twitter: paul__iddon..... Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Dont forget to vote on if you find the answer helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Any advice given in these forums should be tested in a non production environment before implementing.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:11 PM